Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
back pain with pancreas problems

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

back pain with pancreas problems

Is upper back pain normal in pancreas problems??
Back pain is a very frequent complaint with acute and chronic pancreatitis.  While it generally is located at mid-upper back, it can be also especially painful underneath the shoulderblades.  What other symptoms do you have?  Use of a tens unit with the pads placed at the trigger points for the backache can be very effective.
I have chronic pancreatitis and I have back pain quite abit.  It is either in my upper right shoulder, just below the shoulder blade...or it is lower back pain.  Either way it is normal with pancreatitis and it hurts.
I also have chronic pancreatitis and get the back pains, in fact I posted the same question a few weeks back because it was happening so often, it does hurt real bad and spreads to my chest sometimes too.
I had accute pancreatitis attacks, and a lot of pain in the back also, but because I developed a psuedocyst, I also had severe pain at the top of my left shoulder, the doctors all said this was known as refered pain, in other words where the cyst was pushing on me inside, the pain was pushed up and away from the site, my shoulder was not really aching it just seemed like that
I think personally you have to expect a bit of pain in all kinds of wierd places, get well soon
Howard
I have not been officially diagnosed with pancreatitis... however, I have the following symptoms; which all came about after having my gall bladder removed(it was not functioning but had no stones).  Symptoms: unexplained weight loss(20lbs), diarrhea after high fat meals or large meals, upper left back pain right below the shoulder blade, and some abdominal pain after certain meals.
  I cant afford to go to the doctor right now, I put myself on a low-fat diet that has stopped the diarrhea. It now only happens if I eat too much at one time. Also since the diarrhea quit, the weight loss has slacked off.
A related discussion, comstipation was started.
A related discussion, Left back pain beside my shoulder was started.