Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
bleeding odd blood, green stools, intestines?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

24 years old, female.
Yesterday I woke up, went to the bathroom. Wiped, found blood on tissue. I was very surprised and knew it was not yet time for my period. Looking at the blood it was mostly dark although sometimes bright red. It had a little dark gunk in it on and off. It was not like a usual period blood.

I checked the calendar. If this is my period, it is about a week early, which is very unusual for me. The blood was light along most of the pad, but in the upper portion there was a heavy quarter circle of dark blood. That didn
Regarding the blood in the stool - being on 24 years old, it is unlikely to be cancer.  A more common cause would be hemorrhoids, gastroenteritis or an anal fissure.  In any case, if the bleeding continues then I would suggesting seeing your physician to discuss whether a flexible sigmoidoscopy would be of benefit.

Green stools usually are not clinically significant.  Irritable bowel syndrome can cause this, but so can changes in the diet.  Tan stools are more significant.  Any type of obstruction in the biliary ducts can cause this.  I would again suggest seeing a physician to evaluate the liver function (this can be done in a blood test) and perhaps an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gall bladder.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Dr. Kevin,

You misunderstood. I never said there is blood in my stool. I don't know exactly where it is coming from, but it goes directly to my underwear just like my period blood. However, it is very different than any other period i've ever had (if it even is one). I'm afraid your comments are now unvalid, because I am sure where the blood was/is found means very different things.

Please help me out.

Maybe you shoud talk to your Gyn, it may be vaginal
I am having a simliar problem and Beagle...Although I do have blood in my stools.  Sometimes I get sharp pains that hurt so bad I have to stand up.  I do a lot of work on the computer and constantly sit....I don't excercise right and I smoke.  Could someone point me in the right direction. Also sometimes when this happens I get a small buldge on my anus that causes painfull bowel movements.  I am 27 white male and have family history of kidney disease...what do I do next?
A related discussion, digestive system was started.
A related discussion, stools was started.
A related discussion, Bleeding, Green stool was started.