Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
bleeding ulcer
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

bleeding ulcer

i had bleeding ulcer about six months ago and had surgery to repair it. I had no symptoms no pain no warning I just started hemmorraging. It was not caused by H pylori my doc said What are the chances of this happening again?
Dear Sherrod,
Ulcers are usually found in the duodenum (small intestine) or the stomach. The most common cause of ulcer is Helicobacter pylori infection. After patients with Helicobacter pylori infection with bleeding ulcers are treated the rate of recurrent peptic ulcer bleeding is very low. The second most common cause of ulcers is the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID)such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Ulcer healing is rapid with treatment after the discontinuation of these drugs. Proton pump inhibitors such as omeperazole (Prilosec) are very effective at healing ulcers secondary to NSAIDs. In patients who have previous history of ulcer disease or an ulcer complication are at higher risk for developing NSAID associated injury. In patients who absolutely require NSAIDs prophylaxis to prevent NSAID induced damage is recommended. Cigarette smoking has also been shown to delay ulcer healing and to increase the chance of recurrence.
You mentioned that you had surgery, but did not mention what was done at surgery. A surgeon performing an operation for peptic ulcer disease will often perform a procedure called a vagotomy to decrease acid secretion. If acid production is decreased, ulcer recurrence is much lower. Finally, if you have recurrent, non-healing ulcers, diseases where very large amounts of acid is being produced (gastrinoma) should be excluded. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians