Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
blood on stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

blood on stool

i am 49 years old.  on one occasion last week, when i wiped myself, there was a tiny amount of blood on the tissue.  upon further inspection, i found a small amount of blood surrounded by mucuous on top of one of the stools.  the entire thing (blood and mucuous) was about the size of a sunflower seed.  either the day before, or i think the day after, i had diarrhea, but only 2 times.  i have not had any problem since then.  i have also had some breakthrough menstrual bleeding in the past, but the gynocologist ran tests and said i am fine.  my stools range from clumps of balls, (i find myself having these kinds more often within the last 6-8 months) to one large normal stool.  they are not dark in color (Yellow to black)  there is no history of cancer in my family of any type.  should i be worried about this?  thanks for your help.
Any blood in the stool is concerning.  Causes can include benign things like hemorrhoids or anal fissures to more serious causes like cancer.  Other reasons for blood may include inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulosis, or a polyp.

We normally start screening for colorectal cancer (with an endoscopy) in asymptommatic adults at age 50.  Being 49, you are close enough to this age to consider having an endoscopy.  The fact that there is blood on the toilet paper certainly warrants pushing up the colorectal screening regimen.  I would discuss this with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
blood on the stool needs an explanation. With mucus as well, there's the possibility of a polyp (a benign tumor, but one that given enough time has some chance of becoming cancer). Most blood on the stool turns out to be from a minor cause, but it ought to be investigated until explained.
I am confused.  I am seeing a specialist in the Gastro division of a medical diagnostic center--allegedly this is the place you go when you've exhausted most efforts.  I was diagnosed with severe IBS by two doctors, but my specialist told me right off the bat, that blood in your stool is contraindicative of IBS.  

My symptoms started with a sudden onset of severe ab pain, cramping and diahrea, with blood in my stool.  I spent a week in the hospital (my white blood cell count was high) and was diagnosed with non-specific collitis.  Biopsy from the colonoscopy showed non-specific inflammation.  I have tried just about every med possible, but still swing from constipation to regular bm's, to frequent bm's, to black mucus.  I'm not taking anything now.

I've had CAT scans, xrays, ultrasounds, and and Entero.  I'm scheduled for another colonoscopy next week.

Any ideas?
Hi i'am 22 years old. I have taken steroids in the past and found no problems with them. but i fear that they might have lead to my problem. Although i have not taken any steroids, or supplimental androgens as of the past 2 years, recently i have on occasion discovered some blood in my stool..not always but sometimes.Other than one incident where i discovered a noticable amount, it's been quite small. I'am healthy and i eat right and i have no prior tumour or cancer related deaths in my family. I feel no different then i have before, i'am not experiencing any symptoms.I guess my question is could the steroids i took in the past be effecting me now? and should i stay clear of any future steroid use. I appreciate all advice , thank you.