Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
blood-tinged mucus....help?!?!?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

blood-tinged mucus....help?!?!?

I could really use some advice...and some reassurance too, I guess.  I'm almost twenty-six years old, female, and was diagnosed with IBS two years back.  I had a barium enema.  (but now I hear they don't diagnose very well??)  Last couple of weeks I've had a blood-tinged mucus discharge from my rectum once and a while.  When it happens, it's the only thing that comes out.  Strange.  It hasn't been on the stool, or mixed with it, or on the toilet paper or anything. Sorry for being so graphic, but I'm scared to death.  I'm a mom, and two of my grandparents have had colon cancer (both over 50, and both are fine, now)  I feel fine otherwise, except for some constipation.  Stools seem normal, though.  I'm scheduled for a colonoscoply next week...doc took me seriously I suppose because of the family history...I'm so frightened, though.  Any ideas??

Thanks.
I just wanted to let you know, in case you had any fears about having a colonoscopy done, that it's really a breeze.  (hhahah.. no pun intended!) The "hardest" part for me was being in the recovery room and having to "pass" the air they pumped me full of, and that was only hard because my fiance was with me and I was mortified!

Seriously, I hope you get good news with your colonoscopy.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  Please let us know what you find out.
Jen I know just how you are feeling, as I'm around your age and have been having the exact same symptoms as you. I have been having these symptoms for a couple of months now, and I to am waiting to see a specialist for maybe a colonoscopy as well. Have you had a blood test done to see if your WBC is elevated which could indicate inflammation in the colon, I have and mine came back normal. It is strange to find someone out there having the same worries at the same time. My mucus which is every now and then blood-tinged like you describe, is sometimes also associated with a mild discomfort around the tip of my tailbone. My regular doctor tried to tell me these symptoms may be from some small hemorrhoids, but like you said, everytime you see this stuff come out, it "WORRIES YOU SICK" thinking that it could be something serious. SO PLEASE!! let us know how you get on and if they find anything!!!! as I very well maybe facing the same problem and you will be finding out results much before me.

Hopefully your colonoscopy will be a breeze, and there will be nothing wrong, or if there is, it will only be something very very minor! Remember I have had a doctor tell me that you can get this mucus discharge from some hemorrhoids.

Good luck with it all
Hope it goes well!
Waiting to hear how you went
Also worried
MarcusB
Marcus...I had a cbc done a couple of months ago...normal.  I'm getting the colonoscopy done tomorrow morning, so I'm a little nervous.  Lots of jello and gingerale.  I'll post when I know the results and the drugs wear off.  

Hopefully good news.
I had the scope done this morning, and I'm the proud owner of internal hemorrhoids...lots of relief.  The colonoscopy was really easy, but the prep and the attempt at an iv really weren't.  I think I was a bit dehydrated and they had a student trying it.  Big bruise.  I actually remember most of the colonoscopy, and it didn't bother me at all.  Plus, I don't have to go back for 15 years!!  I'm so glad I decided to go ahead with it for the peace of mind.

Now I'm going to go get something to eat........
Jen it
Marcus, did you ever find out what was causing your tailbone pain?  I have similar symptoms now for a few weeks. And I am very worried.

Donna
marcusB, did you ever find out what was causing your tailbone pain?  I have had similar symptoms now for a few weeks and it really has me worried.

Donna