Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
bloody mucus in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

bloody mucus in stool

I am a 34 year old female with no family history of colon cancer. About 7 days ago I starting having passing mucus when I had a bowel movement. Then I starting passing bloody muscus and and some on my stool. Went to Dr. Having colonoscopy on May 4. What could this be. Kinda scared and concerned.
I have the same thing, please tell me what the doctor tells you.
I will be having my test on May 9. From everyone I have talked to they think it is just IBS. My Dr. said he was checking to rule out colitis or crohns. I'll keep you posted. The mucus and blood have stopped for now. How are you feeling. Good Luck.
(30 yr old fem) I'm with you both on the symptoms. I've had blood in my stool for over a month now. The mucous is clear with maroon blood just covering the stool. I had bright blood just on 2 occasions. Dr. ruled out hemmeroids. She said the inside of my rectum looks a little inflammed. Had occult stool test, which came back negative. I don't know how accurate those tests are. Have an appt with a GI on May 10th. Made the appt a month ago. I hate waiting! It's so stressful & scary. I keep thinking that I'm going to have something terrible and too late to treat. I had lesions removed from my cervix 2 yrs ago (due to HPV). I'm worried the the HPV spread to the anal area. I have 3 children to worry about. SO SCARED!!!  Please let me know how things turn out for you two. Take Care!
(30yr female) I have also been diagnosed with IBS. I also have mucousy stool. Just a slight bit of blood. Also I had leasions removed from my cervix in Aug,01. Gladly I can say that this forum has been very informative. But it does not replace the doctor's opinion for me.  I am also pregnant with our first child, due in January 03. So naturally mucousy stool does cause concern. Interesting to know that there are others like me! My next checkup will include some dicussion on IBS. Hope everything goes well with you!
I AM A 30 YR OLD FEMALE.  WHEN I WAS 19 I DISCOVERED BLOOD AND MUCUS IN MY STOOL AND AFTER A YEAR OF PRAYING IT WOULD GO AWAY AND AFTER A LOT OF STRESS AND LOWER BACK PAIN I GOT UP ENOUGH NERVE TO SEE A DR.  THEY DETERMINED I WAS BLEEDING FROM MY COLON AND AFTER SEEING SEVERAL DOCTORS FINALLY HAD A COLONOSCOPY, WHICH I WAS AWAKE FOR.  IT WAS VERY EMBARRASSING AND QUITE UNCOMFORTABLE.  BECAUSE OF MY AGE, THE DR WAS NOT VERY CONCERNED BUT DID THE TEST TO BE SAFE.  I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH COLITIS AND TREATED WITH A LOT OF FIBER.  THROUGH THE YEARS, ALMOST EVERY YEAR FOR A MONTH OR SO AT A TIME I HAVE EXPERIENCED BLOOD IN MY STOOL, MUCUS AND LOWER BACK PAIN.  IT IS FRIGHTENING AND I USUALLY CHALK IT UP TO ANOTHER RUN OF COLITIS.  I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THE DR BECAUSE IT IS SUCH AN UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE.  LATELY, IN MY NEWEST BOUT OF BLOOD AND MUCUS, I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME DIZINESS.  I DO NOT HAVE ANY DIAREAH OR CONSTIPATION, JUST BLOOD AND MUCUS.  ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE WITH THESE SYMPTOMS.  HAVE YOU GIRLS BEEN TO THE DR. YET?
I too had bright blood on my stool with mucous. I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis (colitis- but only the end was affected). I was given mesalamine supossitiories to take up to 4 times a day. FIRST- DO NOT take any NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) if you have bleeding as they ALL have bleeding as a side effect. The only pain reliever not considered an NSAID is acetaminaphen (Tylenol). SECOND- avoid ALL alcohol as it will only aggrevate the situation if this is also your diagnosis. After avoiding these things for over a year I have had only 2 flare ups in the last 9 months.  One was a result of drinking alcoholic beverages at a friends BBQ and the other was a result of a mountain of stress I was dealing with at the time. GET DIAGNOSED!!! These forums are great to get an idea of what you might have but many diseases and disorders have many of the same symptoms.
Well maybe by now you have had your colonoscopy and you know more about what is bothering you. I can only read what everyone has to say and remember my own 9 year battle with ulcerative colitis. There are so many things that can cause bloody-mucous type stools that you really need to seek the advice of a GI doc. I finally had to have surgery after the last three years of my fight were SO brutal. No diet change, no medication, not anything would touch me. Prayer kept me strong but not everyone believes in a higher power so...whatever works for you. As for what reptile said, yes avoid the NSAIDS until you know what it is that is wrong with you. As of the past year, research still doesn't understand why exactly that NSAIDS irritate or exacerbate IBS/IBD but it does. It actually has a lot to do with an enzyme called COX-2. I could explain more about it to you but it would be too inviolved for now. See what foods you tolerate. Alcohol can irritate IBS/IBD but it isn't forbidden. If it bothers you, don't drink it. And that goes for everything else. Please feel free to e-mail me at "***@****" I have SO much info to offer. I have seen the best docs (Cleveland Clinic/University of Cincinnati) and read A LOT of research/studies on IBD. My surgery was performed by a VERY well respected surgeon as well. I hope you feel better now or will feel better soon. I do not wish what happened to me on ANYONE, although I feel SOO good now. Good luck and take care.
                                            J.C.I.
A related discussion, Mucus and Blood in Stool was started.