Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
celiac
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

celiac

I was recently told that my husband had celiac as a baby.
  Symptoms he has had for many years since then, which I think are
  related to it and should be of concern, are the following:  
                              Loose fatty stools
                              malodorous stools
                              inordinately long time to finish bowel
                              movements always accompanied by
                              coughing
  Are these signs of celiac as a lifelong condition?
  Is there, possibly, damage to the small intestine?
  He has always been skinny, despite eating sufficient amounts -
  especially a lot of sweets (ice cream, cookies). Does
  malabsorption of nutrients usually accompany these symptoms?
  He does not see any problem.
  Where could I purchase gluten free bread, rolls etc. in NYC area?
Dear Gwen,
The first step to confirm the presence of celiac disease is to perform one of two blood tests. The first is called anti-gliadin antibodies. It has a fairly good sensitivity (68-76%) and can be used to monitor patients on a gluten-free diet. The second is called anti-endomysial antibodies which has 100% specificity for celiac disease and 85-90% sensitivity. The first test is widely available. If these blood tests are positive many gastroenterologists will perform an upper GI endoscopy with small bowel biopsy to look for characteristic changes of villous atrophy. If celiac disease is confirmed, a strict gluten-free diet should be initiated and a clinical response will probably be noted in several weeks. The clinical response to a gluten-free diet also helps to confirm the diagnosis of celiac disease.
There are various celiac disease support groups throughout the country, which provide discussion groups, newsletters and places to purchase gluten-free foods. Through med-help international search I found two national organizations you can write to or call:
Gluten Intolerance Group of North America, PO Box 1094, Allyn WA 98524-1094, 206-325-6980, email: ***@****
Celiac Sprue Association USA, Inc., PO Box 31700, Omaha, NE 68131-0700, 402-558-0600.
I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you wish to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568 our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: celiac disease, diagnosis, support groups