Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
chest tightness and abdominal ache/pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

chest tightness and abdominal ache/pain

I am 28 yr old male non smoker moderate drinker, like to keep fit and eat healthy. It all started about six weeks ago when I noticed alot of trapped wind so went doc's and he perscribed 'zoton' ppi tablets and tested for heli bac.( for ulcer ) test came back neg but felt a very tight chest when breathing in so stopped taking zoton in case it was a bad reaction. I left it for 2 weeks without the tablets and it seemed to ease although I get a cramping pain in upper stomach/lower chest when bending or crunching down. Went back to docs and went for chest x ray which was clear, I have now been perscribed milder anti acid tablets for a month whilst having some more blood tests. I feel ok after a nights sleep but as the day goes on I start to get stomach pain/ache - not bad but noticeable which seems to be helped by eating. I am very worried it might be serious and wonder if anyone has had simular symptons.
I  have that exact pain ,plus pain bending over or lifting my arm to dry hair.Mine in the upper left side.Feels like gas sometimes.Had upper Gi done ,showed nothing.My Dr. told me that it is acid reflux,I dont believe this.Please let me know when you find any answers.Good luck
I am due to go back to the docs on tuesday so I will let you know what he said. I am possibly thinking this may be hiatas hernia and acid reflux could someone verify that my symptoms could mean this and what tests should i insist on next.

I can see me needing an endoscope which I am not looking forward to as they do not like to sedate in the UK!

Can I also add that when taking a deep breath I feel chest tightness and sometimes feel a click like when your joints click.

Could someone please give me some feedback on this.

I enjoy having a drink mainly at the weekends where I might consume 6-8 pints over Fri/Sat/Sun. I play 5 a side once a week and circuit train twice a week. So i guess i'm "reasonably" fit... (M/32)

However....
I started having pain just after Xmas, like indigestion / soreness just below my breastbone. Couldn't cure it so I guessed a visit to the Docs was necessary! I felt I couldn't burp and as the day progressed the pain increased. Evenings and sometimes during the night I would wake with the "bloated" pain below my breastbone.

He "guessed" I was suffering from an D.Ulcer or beginnings of. He prescribed Lansoprazole (PPI - acid inhibitor). For the next 3 weeks my life was hell. The first week especially. Abdominal cramps and bloating, I even called NHS direct cos' of the pain!

I went back to see a different Doc after the first week of hell and he immediately suggested I have gallbladder problems for which he gave me Pro-banthine (a muscle spasm inhibitor). So i stopped the lansoprazole. At this point I booked myself in at BUPA with a gastro bloke as the NHS GPs give me all of 2 mins of their time :-(

I took Pro-banthine for 24 hrs without any relief, but I got a pretty bad acid stomach. So I decided to pursue the course of lansoprazole. My symptoms really did not suggest a gallbladder problem, no upper right quadrant pain and no pattern to it. Yogurt seemed to help though :-) so ulcer seemed a better diagnosis!

Eventually stopped the lansoprazole after managing 3wks of the 4wk course. Relief came slowly after stopping and de "stressing" about it helped the most. Cos I was worried.

The consultant at BUPA has been excellent, had H pylori breath test (was negative!). He prescribed domperidone which helped (gets the stomach to empty quicker). So slowly I have clawed my way back from a very badly upset digestive system to something I can live with!

However, I had a really acid stomach a couple of days ago so I took ONE lansoprazole (30mg). That was it, I was in agony last night with cramps and general indigestion type pain.

So I now know lansoprazole isn't for me and sounds like it didn't agree with you. My treatment was worse than the original symptoms!

My advice to you is to take it easy for a month. Reduce / eliminate your drinking, have a bath and RELAX. Cut down on the exercise temporarily. I know having a bath sounds mad but if you're stressed it helps BIG TIME. I was very worried but feel better now.

I have an endoscopy on the NHS on April 2nd, I suspect and obviously hope they find nothing...

Stress/work and too much high intensity exercise I think caught up with me :-)

Hope this helps :-)

Avoid tight clothing especially if you just sit down all day at work!
Hi noonoo,
Thanks alot for giving me all that info it makes me feel alot better knowing someone understands, I am stating to think the tablets have alot to do with all my symtoms (symptoms) (to start with I only had indigestion and excess gas!) After taking that prevacid for a few days I felt terrible and haven't been right since.

I know what you mean about doctors trying to get you out of the room as fast as you walk in! How did you get an Endoscope test that quick have you been waiting for a long time?

I am on ranitidine now and it makes me really dizzy and lightheaded, I am told that it might be about 2 months for Endoscope and I thought that was good!!(on NHS anyway)

I assume you live in the UK this is my e mail if you prefer

***@****