Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
clostridium difficile transmission question

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have read that clostridium difficile is transmitted via spores, which I have also learned are "ubiquitous" in the environment, and also found in health care settings. I recently visited a hospital room and was told by relatives of the patient that she had c. diff., so I assume that the spores are on the floor of the hospital room (as research has shown), therefore they made it onto my shoes. If this is the case, how easy is it to spread the spores wherever I go afterwards? Having touched my shoes later, are the spores then on my hands and if so, wouldn't they be transmitted to someone if I shake hands with them or hand them something? Also, if C.diff. is ubiquitous in the environment, does that mean that it is basically something that others will come into contact with whether I transmit it to them or not? I see this "domino" effect of transmission, is it an accurate concern? I am fearful of bringing the spores home to relatives or to someone who is taking antibiotics. Does research shed any light on what I am asking? Thank you very much.
It is unknown why some people colonized with C Diff end up with no symptoms, and others develop more serious infection.

Regarding transmission, it is possible that spores can be spread via the environment.  Gloves con contact as well as careful handwashing is needed to prevent transmission.

The spores can live on environmental surfaces for up to 5 months.  

If C Diff continues to be a concern, careful handwashing would be the best defense.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com