Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
complex liver cyst
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

complex liver cyst

My husband, 41 years old and in good health, recently had a CT scan which revealed a "large, 3.9cm x 2.6cm, cystic lesion with thin septations identified within the medial aspect of the anterior superior segment of the right lobe of the liver near the inferior vena cava and confluent to the hepatic veins. There is some enhancement of the thin septations, however, no nodular enhancement is identified."  For the last two months or so, my husband has been experiencing some relatively mild upper right quadrant abdominal pain and a bloated feeling as well as some mild shortness of breath (frequent sighing). Also occasional gas-like cramps with loose stools. All of his standard blood work was normal. We have an appointment scheduled with a gastroenterologist, but in the mean time, I'm very worried about this complex liver cyst. I looked at the CT scan myself and there seems to be somewhere between two and six sections (or compartments) within the cyst. Also, my husband spends about two weeks a year East Africa and/or Central America leading tour groups and staying only at very nice, relatively exclusive, safari lodges.  My questions are: 1. How common are complex liver cysts? 2. How likely is this to be a parasitic cyst of Echinococcosis? 3. Is there an alternate explanation because I really hope it is not Echinococcosis. 4. Are most gastroenterologists familiar with Echinococcosis (We live in Ohio).  If our gastroenterologist suspects Echinococcosis, does it require immediate treatment?  5. Is it likely that this cyst is causing my husband's symptoms? 6. Does the cyst I described sound very unusual to you?  Any reassurance you could give me would be very much appreciated as we wait to see the gastoenterologist. Thank you.