Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
could all this weight loss be H.Pylori ?????

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Few months ago my husband was tested for Helicobacter Pylori and it was positive.He was treated with Prevpac treatment for 10 days and he does feel better,but not good enough.During the last 14 months he lost almost 60 pounds and weight is still not comming back.His doctor tested him for almost everything,but didn't find enything else,but very mild Ulcerative colitis,which is in remission for last 14 months.His GI said that all that weight loss does not have nothing to do with colitis.He is 6' tool with only 130 pounds.He is going to be tested again,and see what to do.The problem is antibiotics.Every time he is taking it he is loosing more weight and being so thin,we don't know what to do.He is eating fine,usually law fat meals,because fat makes him feel worst,sweet too makes his stomach sick.He is mostly on rice,potatoes,bread,meat and eggs.Cooked and steamed veggies and fruit makes him sick too and any raw veggies he can not have because of Ulcerative coliti.
I would appreciate any comment.
I am currently on antibiotics for H-pylori, but I have never experienced any weight loss.  I also do not have a problem eating fattening meals or sweets.  I would say that maybe you should seek a second opion.  60 pounds is a huge amount of weight loss and it seems to me that the doctor should be a little more concerned.  Good luck!
He might be able to benefit by eating some healthy fats which might not make him feel so bad in moderate quantities. As we all know, fats are loaded with calories. Olive and canola oils are good, and perhaps certain kinds of nuts in small quantities. Avacados have healthy fat as well. Can he eat fish?  - that's another good one. We need SOME fat in our diet and I think he might feel better, as well as put on a few pounds, if he could add at least a little bit more healthy fat to his diet.

I've been through a similar weight loss that was never adequately explained, and I know how hard it is to gain it back. As long as he's under a doctor's regular care, you should be reasonably assured that if anything major is going on or he declines some more that they'll take notice and get to the bottom of it.

Good luck.
Sorry, I made a mistake in my post above ... I mentioned I had experienced a weight loss similar to your husband's, but it was actually more like 30 pounds instead of 60. I agree with Shanyan, 60 lbs. is ALOT of weight - almost a third of his total body weight. I suppose any GI illness could do that if left untreated long enough, but I can see why you'd be doubtful h. pylori was all there was to your husband's story. If you can get a second opinion I'd recommend it. Otherwise, hopefully he'll be able to eat more now and start feeling better once he puts a few pounds back on.
Thanks for the Avocado tip.
I have had a 16 lbs. loss and on a small frame it is alot,
cream of wheat, soy malts with non dairy creamer,bananas,skinless potatoes, skinless apples, egg
My stomach has had trouble: veges,meats
I crush my vitamins as well.