Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
could it be my gallbladder?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

could it be my gallbladder?

I am a 26-year-old female and here is what is happening...three weeks ago, I ate bread pudding and ice cream and 2 hours later had extreme pain in my stomach which radiated to my right side under my ribcage.  It took my breath away...nothing could make it better.  It moved into my back under my shoulder blade.   The pain lasted for about 2 hours. I was VERY nauseous and felt like I was going to vomit at any second but never did.  
   I woke up that night with the same symtpoms but this time with chills and a low grade fever.
  I've had 3 episodes of sever pain since but the nausea is much more frequent.  The last was last night after eating a bowl of cereal with sugar on it.
   My doctor was sure it was a gallbladder problem...but an ultrasound showed no stones.  The tech did note tenderness in the area of my gallbladder.  My bloodwork was normal.  I am negative for H. Pylori.  A HIDA scan showed my liver at 5 minutes, Small bowel at 10 minutes and gallbladder at 45 minutes.  There was also enterogastric reflux.
I have had an upper endoscopy which showed nothing abnormal.  
   This pain is so extreme...I really am searching for a solution.  I am hoping someone has a suggestion. Any advice or thoughts are most appreciated!!
It could still be your gallbladder.  That is one of the hardest things to diagnose, I think.  I have had the same attacks since my gallbladder has been taken out.  So, I feel for you.  It took the DR.'s almost 10 years to find my mothers problem--which was her gallblader (gallbladder).  I don't guess that there is really anything that you can do except stay away from fatty foods.  Of course, anything could bring on an attack.  Just because it is your gallbladder doesn't mean that you have stones.  I had sludge in my gallbladder.   Maybe it could be your bile duct getting "stopped up".  Or something that they call Sphincter of oddi.  Check those out. I hope that you get relief.
I just commented this same thing on Irishblondy, who posted a question down below. I too had just what you described as I just told her. Mine always seemed to come on after I drank Cappucchino, with a half gallon of whipped cream. Or at least that is when I noticed it most. I work in an ER, and when I complained about it several times the Nurse Practioner said that he would make a bet that mine was gall stones. Because it came and went I never got it checked out and fortunately it went way. So I know this doesn't help much, but just because they don't see anything doesn't mean it's not there. And of course it could be something else. So make sure to follow up and take care of yourself. Good Luck ,Dejsa
I, too, been having the same problem.  I'm a 27 yr. old female.  I had an attack last night.  I did eat too much yesterday, a bowl of cereal, a sandwich, ice cream, some cheese, pizza then some more ice cream over the whole day.  It hurt so bad, kinda like cramping in my stomach then it goes into my back.  It scares.  I just went to the doctor for it and he gave me a prescription to Prevacid thinking it might be bad gas but I'm not sure that, that, is it.  I did have blood work done and they told me if they found something that they'd call me and if they didn't just wait to see the doctor again, which I do on Tuesday(11-26).  Now today, I feel fine.  I don't know what it can be.  I've been trying to eat better and drink plenty of water.  I'm confused and scared.  I just hope it's nothing serious.
If you think it's your gallbladder, have an abdominal ultrasound done.  I'm female and when I was 26 I had mine checked after a 2nd eposide of pain...it was full of stones.  Had it removed a week after the 2nd attack (which was months after the first one)...best surgery I'd every had!!  One of my attacks woke me up in the middle of the night and I didn't eat anything that fatty or greasy that day.  I figured when I still had pain after 2 vicodine, I had a problem :)