Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
diarrhea for 3 weeks--what could be the cause

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

i am a healthy 45 yo woman who has recently been experiencing diarrhea 3-8 times per day for going on 3 weeks...my GP has prescribed Pamine 4x per day and an anti-diarrheal (diphenoxilyate/atropine). While the meds do give some minor temporary relief, i am still experiencing diarrhea and it's really getting to me. The GP said it sounded like i had gastroenteritis from the symptoms and he assumed i ate something that sent my bowels into an uproar..however, after 6 days on the medications, i am still waking up in the middle of the night to "evacuate the system", so to speak.

Any comments??
Make an appointment to see a gastroenterologist.  If possible, collect a stool sample before you go so they can rule out any bacterial infections.  IMPORTANT:  Do not refrigerate of freeze sample as it will kill the bacteria and void the test if it is bacteria related.  Ideally, the sample will be from the same day, perhaps earlier that morning.  Have you taken any antibiotics in the last 3 weeks?  Are you under a lot of stress at home or work?  Do you have any known food allergies?  Does anyone in your family have a history of similar symptoms?  It could be any number of different things.  Good luck.