Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
digestive noises

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

digestive noises

Over past 18-24 months I have had problems with my digestive system. From memory it all started when I got a bout of gastro that never really seemed to go away. The problems seemed to be similar to symptoms of ibs with mainly cramping and intermittent bouts of diarrhoea lasting around 2 weeks or so. This has come and gone over the last 18 months with a feeling of always being hungry. No feeling of nausea or any pain, except from the odd cramping. Whenever
someone in my family gets a flu or cold, I only seem to get digestive problems{dont know wheter related or not}.
Three months ago I saw my GP who felt around my digestive system and then prescribed anti-biotics thinking it was probably some sort of germ. This didnt seem to work but system seemed to get better about 2 weeks after finishing course.
Since then however my digestive system makes many loud noises, groaning and squirting noises in all parts of the digestive system. These are not at all painful, just embarrasing. This seems to happen all through the day. It only seems to stop shortly after eating a nice big meal. I seem to be hungry all the time and need a large meal to get rid of the hungry feeling. This is not good as I am trying to lose weight. I recently lost 15 kg {close to 3 stone} by dieting but I am gradually putting some back on now as eating eases my problems. These noises start as soon as I get up each morning and continue until I eat. My stools are generally loose with some seeming normal shape mixed with a flatter type. After emptying bowels ( normally only once a day) seem to get very hungry feeling. As stated I dont get any pain, however do sometimes feel listless and get short-tempered. I am 40 years of age take sotalol for AF and Coversyl. Is there anything I can do to stop these incessant noises please, or may this be indicative of some problem. Would appreciate any help. Thank You.
Hi - one possibility is that you are much more aware of your stomach than previously (since you have had some problems) and that is why you notice the noises more.  However, you say you have irregular BM so perhaps you should have this checked out.  Can you arrange to have a check up by a GI doctor (gastroenterologist) to rule out / address any problems and to reassure yourself.
Best Wishes