Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
early morning nausea/indigestion/diarrhea

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I've been having indigestion problems on and off for a year now.  The symptoms have recently increased.  I'm almost afraid to eat.  My tests: colonoscopy 4 years ago was normal, no polyps, Upper G.I. 1 yr ago showed excess acid and a small hiatal hernia, recent stool speciman showed no blood or parasites, blood panel was normal.  I'm 54 and am still menstruating 4-6 weeks.  I was on aciphex for several months but discontinued about 4 days ago due to excess bloating and indigestion.  
  yesterday morning I woke up at 2am with severe heartburn and I took mylanta which helped.  Woke again at 4am, sweaty feverish feeling (although no fever) with loud intestinal noise then sudden watery diarrhea..some belching

This morning I woke at 2am very nauseous, sweaty and intestinal sounds. This time I tried to eat something and drank a little gatorade. Leaning forward also helped. My throat was thick and mucousy.  After 30 minutes I felt better.

Have my tests eliminated anything scary?  Is this an ulcer?
I did have a month or so of low backache on the left side that my internist said was a muscle spasm. It ran up the left side of my back. It's better now although I have cramps from my period as well. Perimenopause complications?  I feel a bit crazy as I've always been otherwise very healthy.
The colonoscopy would eliminate most of the lower GI disorders - such as polyps or cancer.

The upper GI is a reasonable initial test to evaluate for GERD, upper GI masses or ulcers.

The upper endoscopy however, is the more comprehensive test and should be considered.  You can also consider a 24-hr pH study which is the definitive test for GERD.  

If there continues to be GERD despite the use of Aciphex, then other options (i.e. surgery) needs to be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with another GI evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Hi, I am 42 years old. I had gastric bypass surgery 11 months ago and everything was going great. I lost 60lbs. Then about 8 weeks ago I started getting chronic constipation. I was constipated 4 days out of the week. Then about 5 weeks ago I got this horrible pain in my back, I was unable to sleep. The 2nd day it happened I went into the hospital. They told me my liver enzymes were high, I had a gall stone and a gall bladder infection. I was on fluids for 2 days and they did open gall bladder surgery and exploratory surgery on my bile duct. I had a tube from inside my body attached to a bag for leakage. The bag was removed after 14 days. Eventually the liquid stopped coming out. I assumed I would stop feeling pain after all of this. Now I often feel like there is a belt cinched very tightly just below my breasts. I have pain down both sides of my back. I have sporadic nausea and diahrrea. I just don't understand why this pain won't go away. It wakes me from my sleep. It is not as intense as before my gall bladder was removed, but it is still awful. Has anyone else experienced this or know of any reason why I should still be in pain?
Mc - sounds like you may have gallbladder disease which can end up causing your liver to malfunction - which can make you sweaty.  And, yes, I had the same symptoms - waking up in the middle of the night with the pain.  I ended up having emergency gallbladder surgery one night because the pain was so bad and I was sweating, etc.   Don't let it come to that.  Ask your doctor to do an ultrasound of your gallbladder now.
A related discussion, whats wrong with me was started.