Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
elevate lipase and amytase

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

elevate lipase and amytase

Does highly elevated Lipase and Amytase levels in itself definitively indicate pancreatitus (pancreatitis)?
Yes, I would say so.  Those are the 2 tests they do to check to see if you are having a pancreatic attack.  How how were your levels and have you been hospitalized at all?  Are you under a drs. care yet?
TazLady
The Lipase and Amytase levels wre both about 4200, and the party I asked the questions for is currently hospitalized and being treated for pancreatitus (pancreatitis). Thank you for responding.
I would say that definatly indicates pancreatitis.  The last time I was in the hospital for 10 days with my last attack, my amalyse and lipase levels were elevated.  I left one hospital, stayed home one day and checked into er with levels of 1999 and 5000.  Your friend should likely be there for about 8-10 days and then have a recovery time at home of a few weeks.  They may have to stay longer.  I was so wanting to go home, that for 4 days of my stay I refused all pain meds and lied about feeling good, so I could go home and take care of my family.  Yes, I know that was wrong of me, but I just couldn't take the long hospital stay anymore.
I hope your friend gets on pancreatic enzyme pills for aiding in digestion and gets on a good low fat diet.  25 grams of fat or less a day should help with the pain.  No butters, oils, fried foods or alcohol. I eat fat free or low fat foods.  I also still eat dairy products such as cheese (2%) fate free milk and fat free ice cream. They should also be aware that even nyquil has 10% alcohol and O'douls is .05%.  They should be avoided.  Alcohol can induce another attack.  There is no cure for pancreatitis.  The pancreas is not an organ that rejuvinates itself.  So care of this organ is a must.  Avoid stressful situations when possible too.  Pain comes and goes in cycles.  There will be tolerable pain times and times when the pain is bad, but not bad enough to send you back to the ER room.  Good luck to your friend.  This place is a great place to post questions and talk with other people that have this too.
TazLady