Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
elevated liver enzyme sgot
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

elevated liver enzyme sgot

I recently had routine blood work.. all tests were perfect except one liver enzyme sgot.. it was 76..the Dr. said it could be related to a recent muscle injury such as a heart attack (which i didn't have) but i did fall and dislocate and break an ankle in feb... i had surgery for plates and screws to be put in.. i was casted for 6 weeks then 6 weeks of therapy .i was retested a few weeks later and the # was 78.. i had an ultrasound that showed everything was fine, but did find a small polyp in the gallbladder,,,,he didn't seem to be concerned..i was re-tested again a few weeks(5) later and the sgot is now 71.. now my Dr. is sending me to a GI dr.  I'm taking metoprolol for blood pressure...and a diuertic...my Dr. does not think these should cause a problem but i've read where the BP med. can raise liver enzymes...i feel fine... what's next?????
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
Your liver enzyme is mildy elevated. It may be of no clinical significance. The Gastroenterologist may do a panel of tests for other causes such as all the hepatitis's. It is doubtful it is anything like that. It is possible that the Metoprolol is causing it, but unlikely. Could be from muscle damage. Follow through with everything your doctor orders but don't worry too much about it.
Blank
Thanks for the reply.... i do what he says but sometimes i get worried about all this.... i'm relatively healthy all the time. i've had a bad year with the broken ankle.. out of work 3 months and it still bothers me 7 months later...and now this enzyme stuff.... oh well, i feel fine.... thanks again.. bk
Blank
3 weeks back, I had a routine blood test done and 2 liver enzyme levels were found elevated. AST was 211 and ALT was 64. The doctor requested another blood test and so exactly 1 wk after the first blood test, I got another test done adn the AST was now 510. It had gone up by 299 units
The doctor has requested ultrasound but results are not in yet. I am wondering how the AST level could go up so much in a week time. I don't feel any sickness or other health problems. I feel a bit tired but that could be due to extra workload these days.

I would appreciate any suggestions/comments on the cause of these elevated liver enzymes.

Thanks!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...