Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
elevated liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

elevated liver enzymes

I have had elevated liver enymes for six years now but were never watched,so 5 years later i went to doctor because i wasn't feeling well. I found that my alkaline phosphatase was 260 and ALT 157 and AST 103 and this went on for 1 year i was later diagnosed with lupus (sle) i suffer chronic fatigue, chronic pain and my hair falls out in patches . My liver biopsy states mild congestion possibly caused by right side heart problems. The rest of the biopsy normal. I was later started on prednisone 20 mg. After 3 weeks my enzymes were lowered after 7to8 weeks they were returned to normal. I felt wonderful my hair grew back my pain was gone and i wasn't tired all the time. I Did forget to mention that my ana was positve 1:80 ana pattern homogeneneous/speckled. I was weened down slowly to 5 mg of prednisone,my liver enzymes stayed normal as i reached 5 mg for about 1 month i started not feeling good again and my enymes were up again but just a little . I went to the mayo clinic for a second opion but to find out I never had lupus and my ana was normal so now i am being weened off of the prednisone. They found that i have a gallstone so that is the pain i have had in my right side but they said that can effect the alkaline phosphatase but not the ast,alt. So they said      i most likely have a fatty liver so they requested the slides of my biopsy and had them looked over and there is no evidence of a fatty liver. Therefore they do not know what is causing this. My question to you is what could be causing these elevated liver enzymes? I your opion can 1 gallstone cause alt,ast and alkaline phosphatase to be elevated all this time? Why did the prednisone work to bring them down to normal ? And now that i am on a lower dose there are going back up? I have been checked for hepatitis a,b,c mitochondrial antibody. My ggt was 184. I have been tested for mono. Can other diseases such as heart or lung disease affect the liver? So far all blood work is normal with exception of the liver enzymes. I do not drink , no drugs and i don't even take anything for a headache or stomache cramps. Sorry this isn't in order i just write as i remember this has been a long process. The mayo clinic suggests after i get off the prednisone and when i get all aches and pains back come back and we will look everything over again but for now lets just figure out what's going on with the liver. They said if it is a autoimmune process that would  have shown on the biopsy. So i am confused and so it seems so is everyone else. Please give me your opion on this situation. Thank you.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

It appears you have been evaluated thoroughly with a liver biopsy and physicians at the Mayo Clinic.  I will give information on elevated liver enzymes, but please understand that I cannot diagnose you over the internet.  

There are many reasons that can cause elevated liver enzymes.

Medications