Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
enlarged spleen all tests came back normal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I've been having back pains and stomach pains for months now. I went for a CAT scan and it showed I an enlarged spleen. I've had blood tests to see if I had mono, CMV, std's and a few other tests that I really cant remember. I've had a bone marrow test done and lastly I just went the other day for a PET scan. All tests came back normal. My CAT scan report said I have a mold case of sigmoid diverticulosis and I have some swollen lymph nodes in my lower abdomen.  The hematologist/onocologist suggested I either wait 3 months to see if something shows up on another PET scan and a CAT scan to check my spleen. The alternative was to have a biopsy. I would hate to have to go through surgery for them to find nothing again. I wish I could wait 3 months but I'm thoroughly exhausted, uncomfortable for the stomach and back pains and I'm depressed from all this. Mind that I'm only 37 years old and besides a few broken bones and some flus and colds here and there, I have never been really sick. What is your take on all this?
You have had a comprehensive set of tests that would rule out many of the major diseases leading to the symptoms.

Further evaluation of the upper digestive tract can be done.  Inflammation, an ulcer or GERD are all possible, and I would suggest an upper endoscopy to evaluate this.  

If negative, repeating the PET scan or obtaining an MRI of the area can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
I'm just curious how my spleen could become enlarged because of GERD. I have been diagnosed with GERD and I am taking prevacid for it. Wouldnt an infection cause my spleen to enlarge. Could I get an infection from a gastrointestinal disorder? Would you suggest seeing a GI specialist or an Infectious Disease specialists? My joints ache too and I get dizzy spells every once in a while too.
I have same type problem as you.  I have had enalrged spleen for 2 years, 14cm.  All test come back normal except for GERD.  I have had 2 ct scans, adom. ultrasound, liver/spleen scan, many cbc's, LFT's, hepatitis, hiv, cmv, celiac disease, iron and copper storage disease, etc.  All normal except for enlarged slpeen in ct scans and ultrasound.  I have had pain in Left upper quadrant of abdomin (abdomen) for 2 years with no relief and have tried 4 diff. meds for the GERD.  I really think my pain is from my spleen, but none of my docs do.  I have been to 3 specialist with no dx.  I also have itching, which combined with the enlarged spleen is a symptom of Lymphoma, so I am worried about that as well.  If u find out anything let me know, as our cases are similair.  How big is your slpeen? in cm.  My email is ***@****, feel free to e mail me.  Mabie we can help each other out.
efontenot @ yahoo  . com  is email.
Avatar n tn
I have an enlarged spleen also. But my symptoms are mainly abdominal pain and funky stools. I have had a colonoscopy/EGD which showed non-specific inflammation. I have no definite diagnosis so far. Possibly GERD but I'm waiting it out to see.
I'm just curious on how my spleen could become enlarged because of GERD. And some lymph nodes are swollen too as I mentioned before.
Any diagnosis yet?
Check this site out, it is to help people interpret imaging tests.  It states that some people have enlarged spleens with no medical reason.  I am beginning to believe that is what my situation is as none of the tests show anything.  By the way what is the size of your spleen?
oh, here is the site   www.holistica.com/Pages/edu_body_brains
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, is my spleen enlarge was started.
A related discussion, Enlarged Spleen was started.