Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
esophageal cancer life expectancy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

esophageal cancer life expectancy

my father was just dianosed with esophageos cancer.  as far as i know it is in the esophageos and where it meets the stomach.  he has had indigestion and trouble swallowing for sometime whic h is why he consulted a doctor.  my research indicates that if you are showing symptoms the cancer is far advanced.  it is still a touchy subject since everyone is still getting used to the idea of losing dad soon.  i have a work friend which just died this month from the same thing and he was diagnosed about 3 months ago.  what would be the best case senario in your opinion considering we both dont know too many facts.  your answer is appreciated.  he is 75 and is (was) a smoker.  very severe authorites in his pelvic region assuming they read his xrays correctly,  fyi the first barrium xray he had for this problem was read as an ulcer.  he had to go back to the doctor since he could not swallow despite ulcer medication./
  /  thank you mrs bells
------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mrs. Bells:
Esophageal cancer is very difficult to treat successfully, even if diagnosed at early stages of the disease. The survival time for persons with esophageal cancer varies according to the stage of the disease at time of diagnosis. Several studies of patients with stage I esophageal cancer show that even with aggressive treatment that includes surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy, only 50% of persons will live for five years.
I cannot give you more information without knowing more about your father's stage. Symptoms are not an accurate predictor of the stage of disease.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution, please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to be seen with Dr. Tamir Ben-Menachem of the Division of Gastroenterology, one of our experts in the treatment of gastrointestinal cancer.
HFHS M.D.-tbm
Keyword: esophageal cancer
0.4

A related discussion, Life expectancy was started.