Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
etreme constipation and frequent nausia
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

etreme constipation and frequent nausia

I AM A 33 YR OLD WOMAN THAT IS WORRIED ABOUT MY RAPID WIEGHT GAIN , NAUSIA, CONSTIPATION, AND BLOATING THAT I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING OVER THE LAST 3-4 MTHS.  I HAVE EVEN BEEN TRYING TO EAT HEALTHY. I ALSO HAVE TRIED TAKING LAXITIVES TO NO AVAIL. I HAVE TAKEN UP TO 5 AT A TIME AND STILL STRUGGLE TO HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT. MY STOMACH LOOKS VERY BLOATED. IT LOOKS LIKE I AM PREGNANT BUT I AM POSITVE THAT I AM NOT, I EVEN TOOK TWO PREG. TEST TO MAKE SURE. I WIEGHED 135 IN APRIL AND NOW MY WIEGHT IS 160. I HAVE FREQUENT SPELLS OF NAUSIA TOO.
LAST MONTH I WENT TO THE DOCTOR COMPLAINING OF THESE SYMTOMS (symptoms) AS WELL AS SHORTNESS OF BREATH, HEADACHES,DIZZINESS AND SOME OTHER THINGS AS WELL. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE, WHICH EXPLAINS SOME SYMTOMS (symptoms) BUT NOT MY STOMACHE PROBLEMS.
SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT MY STOMACHE PROBLEMS?
WHAT COULD THESE SYMTOMS (symptoms) MEAN?
MY DOCTOR WANTED TO PUT ME ON DIET PILLS BUT I AM NOT UPSET BY MY SIZE, I AM JUST WORRIED THAT MY BODY MAYBE TRYING TO TELL ME THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG.
WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I DO?
P.S-I HAVE BEEN TAKING HYDROCODONE FOR BACK PROBLEMS, COULD THIS BE PART OF THE PROBLEM?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Hydrocodone is a form of narcotic, and certainly is contributing to your symptoms.  Chronic constipation can lead to nausea and sometimes vomiting.  I would discuss a prescription laxative program with your personal physician if you are on chronic hydrocodone.  

If there continues to be constipation despite prescription laxatives, then further evaluation - including an endoscopy (colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy) - would be the next step.  This can be discussed with an appropriate GI referral.  

Regarding the bloating, you can consider an upper GI workup to evaluate for ulcers, inflammation or GERD.  An upper GI series or upper endoscopy would be appropriate tests to evaluate these disorders.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
6 Comments
Blank
does hydrocodone contain aluminium??
Blank
Hydrocodone definitely can cause nausea and constipation - sometimes severe.  Have you tried a stool softener or Metamucil?  Both of those have helped me tremendously in the past.
Blank
THANKS DJN FOR THE INFO!
Blank
I'M NOT SURE IF HYDROCODONE HAS ALUMINIUM IN IT BUT I DON'T THINK SO.
Blank
if laxative does not work,i doubt if stool softener works.
Magnesium causes diarhea (diarrhea),aluminium causes constipation,check your medication
Blank
I have had nausia and rumbling in my stomach for several months now.  The rumbling and noise is worse at night when I am trying to sleep.  Have feelings of a BM constantly with only success several times aday. Have gas with movement also.  Should I have an Upper GI series?

Any suggestions to what is causing this problem?

JH
Blank
A related discussion, laxatives was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank