Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
excessive air in stomach
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

excessive air in stomach

Dear doctor,
  I am a 35 year old female who in the past 8 months has been dealing with an excessive amount of air in my stomach.  I took Gas-x which seemed to help short term.  I burp all the time and I have no pain or other discomfort.  It is all in the stomach area as I do not have lower intestinal problems.  Any ideas what may cause this?  I also get alot more PVCs since I've been like this.  Could lactose intolerance be the problem?  Also, someone told me ovarian cancer can have this symptom.  Is that true?  Please respond.  Thank you.
______
Dear sandy,
Excessive air can result from either production of gas in the gastrointestinal tract (e.g. lactose intolerance, ingestion of beans or roughage) or by swallowing air.  Swallowed air can result if you are a mouth breather, talk or drink when eating etc.  Treatment is to take a medication which adsorbs the air e.g. charcoal compounds such as Gas-X or simethicone compounds.
This information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questiosn to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: gas. aerophagia