Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
fatty infiltration of pancreas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

fatty infiltration of pancreas

My husband had a CT scan and results stated "heterogeneity of pancreatic head, likely representing fatty infiltration."  We were told that the pancreas is normally all one density, but that his was not.  And that it was not normal.  It was recommended to do another CT IV contrast scan.  The follow-up CT Abdomen with contrast scan was done and the report states:  "There is some fatty infiltration throughout the pancreas..."   The "impression" said:  "Probably no significant abnormalities."  

I am trying to find out if this is anything to worry about.  Does anyone know?
Does he have fatty infiltration of the liver?  I would ask the doctor.  I have fatty infiltration of the liver AND the kidneys.  I have been told to go on a diet and lose one pound per week.  Losing weight faster than that can be damaging to the liver.  If your husband is overweight he should lose some weight. I lost twenty pounds and I feel a lot better.  
  If he has fatty infiltration of the liver you should do some research on Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH).  Go to the American Liver Foundation Website.  They have the best information on it.  Also the National Institute of Health (NIH) has the most extensive website for health information I have ever seen.  I think it is NIH.gov.

Thank you for your answer, but no, there is no fatty infiltration of the liver.  The CT Contrast Scan did say that "There is a 6mm low density defect in the quadrate lobe of the liver sightly to the left of the gallbladder which is too small to characterize with certainty but in the absence of any known malignancy it is probably of no significance."  There's that word "probably" again.  The first CT scan called it a 'lesion'.  I don't know if this needs to be looked into or not, we were mainly concerned with the pancreas.  A good friend of ours was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last month and has been given only 2 months to live, and she seems to be failing fast.  When we were told that the pancreas should be one density and his was not, we becamed very concerned.  He goes back to the doctor next week, but in the meantime, we've been trying to get information about it.  If someone knows about this - please post a message.  Thanks so much!