Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
fibrosis vs. cirrhosis
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

fibrosis vs. cirrhosis

Whats the difference between fibrosis and cirrhosis.
On a biopsy i have minimal fibosis 0/1 on scale of 4.
Heavy drinker stopped 8 months ago. Have been to 3 doctors
who all tell me nothing to worry about as my liver will
last a long time one said 50 years. They all said just
stop drinking and left it at that, none felt I needed any
follow ups. LFT's are all normal. If I had cirrhosis would
the biopsy say cirrhosis. Does fibrosis go away or cure itself
if the source is taken away (drinking)
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Chronic liver diseases lead to fibrosis which can lead to the portal hypertension, changes in the liver architecture and may produce such an irreversible rearrangement of the circulation as to cause cirrhosis.  These liver diseases can cause necrosis, collapse and scar formation which can also lead to fibrosis.  

Cirrhosis is the end-stage progression of fibrosis, and is defined as characterized by irreversible scarring of the liver and impaired liver function.

Some cases of early fibrosis may be reversible with the elimination of the inciting cause.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now