Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gallstones and chest pain
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

gallstones and chest pain

hi, i'm a 21 year old male.  6'0'' and 150 pounds.  i have a couple of questions regarding chest pain and gallstones.  a couple of months ago i began to have some nausea.  at the time, my primary care physican told me that i had reflux and put me on prilosec.  for the next couple of months, i was on prilosec or prevacid, which helped the nausea go away; however, i began to develop bad heartburn and upper left chest pain, around the nipple area of my left chest.  as a result, i went in for a upper gi series which was negative and ultrasound which showed gallstones. i then saw a GI doc who did an endoscopy on me and told me i didnt have refulx and only mild gastritis.  after this, i quit all the PPIs that i was taking and actually began to feel better.  the GI doc told me to take carafate for a month and i've been taking that now.  anyway here are my questions:

1) Is it possible that the PPIs were the cause of my heartburn and chest pain? i've read that too little stomach acid can cause these symptoms

2) are there any other GI tests i should have done to help determine if my upper left chest pain is GI Related?

3) given my young age, should i bother to check whether or not the chest pain might be due to something heart related?  

4) most importantly right now, should i have my gallbladder removed? the ultrasound showed stones, but i have no gallbladder related symptoms. no pain at all on my right side.  my GI doc says i dont need to get it removed, but the PCP and surgeon tell me i should.

thanks a lot!