Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gas,bloating,abdominal distention,water retention

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am 41 and feel and look 6 mos preg. I am 100% disabled  due to spinal injury and live with sever pain (Average 6-7/10). I am not able to be very active and T3-l3 is fused with dual rods from my neck to hips. When I am out of my home I need to use a wheelchair. Drs have Dx me with IBS. I am extremely bloated. I eat gas x like candy, (Dr. RX). I am on zelmorm, and have been hospitalized and ER for severe left side pain with distention and colon not moving and reversing direction (causing sever vomiting). Vomiting and colon movement have been normalized, however distention still is a major issue. Bowle movements at times help some, but only for a very short period of time.  Everything has been checked. CT scan,gallblader (gallbladder),kidneys, blood(except for GYN). Since I was 14 I've always had two sets of cloths. Bloated and regular. Now the problem is cronic (chronic). Its been over 3 months of constant distention and bloating. It is very difficult to pass gas except by using an enema. I eat very little. I do take strong narcotics for pain,(MScontin) but that has been for the past 23-14 years. I do have severe spasams, and have been DX with stiffman syndrome. I do have nerological issues due to spinal surgery.
I have enought issues to live with and this cronic (chronic) bloating is miserable.
HELP! I know my situation is complicated with multipal issues. However any suggestions for IBS, movements(exercise)and or diet that might be helpful? Anything I can do with my limitations?
Certainly the amount of narcotics that are taken can decrease colonic transit and may exacerbate bloating.  

The following tests can be considered to ensure there is not a seperate disease process that may be causing the bloating:

* Examination of stool to detect the presence of blood, abnormally increased levels of fat (steatorrhea), or the presence of Giardia lamblia.

* A lactose tolerance test, during which patients are provided with a test dose of lactose by mouth.

* X-ray examination of the small intestine.

* Upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or colonoscopy (in which the inside of the stomach, upper intestines or colon are examined via a tube with a camera at the end).

* Antibody tests for celiac disease.

These tests should be discussed and considered with your personal physician.

Regarding treatments for IBS, antispasmodic agents as well as antidepressants (i.e. tricyclic antidepressants) have been shown in small studies to have some benefit.  You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I thought I would add a few more facts  since I did not mention them in my first note on gas bloating and distention.

I have had a colonoscopy and an upperGI.I havent been checked for yeast,or malabsorbtion as far as I know.

As I mentioned in my first note I eat very little.
perhaps one tortillia with cheese, or a cup of pasta with a white sauce made with cheese bacon and eggs or butter and cheese. I eat one small meal a day. Most of my calories are from liquids.

I was Dx with angeio edema at 23.I swell up mostly in my abdomen. However the distention I have now is much greater and is definately gas and water retention. I always had some gas with my water retention.Is this normal?I have taken Lasix for my water retention.

I take Gabapentin for spastisity. Since my hospitalization they also put me on Docusate 2 once a day. this has helped keep my
bowles moving daily.
Thank you and I look forward to hear from you.
Thank you for your recommendations. I will discuss this with my Dr. I really appreciate this forum to get advise. Often I feel  general Dr.s decide on a Dx and than just treat you for that and do not explore other possibilities.

I have read many of other patients issues. Do you think yeast or malabsorbtion could or should be looked into as well? Or are my symptoms  more likely to be associated with,most likely with your suggestions only? My health care is through a VA hospital since I am a 100% disabled Veteran. I am sure they will be able to test me for the tests you have suggested. I did post a few other details I thought of after my initial  note.
Again I look forward to hear from you. Thank you again.
I would recommend you check out yeast infection , here
After taking the candida test and scoring over480(180 = most likely candida is the problem),I would like to know what antifungal,low carb diet you could suggest. Also is thereA specialist I should see other than a gastrologist
Iknow wine is high in sugar, however being european I do like it with a meal. Is wine  high in fungus? I have stoped eating all grains, corn, potatoes and high sugar content foods. Is rice considered a grain or high fungal? Cheese?
what is the anti-fugal deit andlow carb deit opr any other suggestions for controlling diet
It was eary in the morning,or late night when I wrote last. Question,what is an anti-fungal diet and were do I find information on foods that are ok or not ok to eat. Also, how can this condition be dx? What tests should dx candida, or similar issues.