Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gastric fundus/bleeding

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

gastric fundus/bleeding

I had a EGD/Colonscopy last week, per my physician the colon is clear, he indicated that when air was blown into the abdominal cavity the walls of my stomach appeared strangely dry, cracked, and "odd" looking, the abdominal wall started to bleed, oozing approximately 2 tablespoons of blood. He observed the bleeding and stated that the bleeding ceased after 5-10 minutes.

He reports to me that he has never seen this in the stomach, only in the colon. He tells me that he has no idea what is going on and would like to order a CT scan. He did do  multiple biopsies, he is waiting on the results. He has been practicing medicine for several years and I am a bit perplexed that he cannot recall this situation in the past.

His exact words per his operative report are as follows: In the stomach, there was noted to be friable mucosa at the gastric fundus which bled easily. Biopsies were taken.

Any ideas? I do appreciate any feedback.

He gave me a Rx for Nexium. I have had numerous test for absorption/O&P. All were within normal limits.

Difficult to say without seeing the images myself.  

Friable mucosa can be caused by some tumors or cancer.  Gastritis or other inflammation may also lead to the findings.  

The only way to know for sure is to wait for the biopsies to return.  This would give a more definitive diagnosis.  If the biopsies are negative, they can be observed with serial studies (i.e. periodic endoscopies) to ensure the findings are not spreading.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
A related discussion, friable was started.