Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gastritis and LPR reflux

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

gastritis and LPR reflux

I had gastritis in December, which got better but then came back in January primarily because of some other health issues I had to lie down, which I'm sure didn't help my digestion.  My gastritis now feels much better, but still not eating because about a month ago I came down with a wicked sore throat.  Also after not eating for so long my stomach just feels way small. That my gastronlogist now thinks I may haveLPR.  I'm scheduled for a PH monitoring test in two weeks.
I did not have a good reaction to the purple pill--got all the side effects--been on Aciphex most recently--side effects seem minimal-- but tapering down to get ready for the test.
Also been taking digestive enzymes, Deglycyrrhizinated licorice, quercetin,  and slippery elm from my Naturpath. I keep reading about the 1 tsp. ginger root juice, but worry about that for my gastritis.  But my throat feels like one big inflammation, so thinking may be ginger would be good.   Also started low carb diet, and gave up wheat as was not digesting it well.

Would the gastritis cause LPR and does LPR ever get better? Or for that matter either one get better?  Any recommendations?  It just seems like I'm taking so much stuff.
The 24-hr pH study is the more definitive test to evaluate for LPR.  Somtimes a 48-hr probe may be needed for a more definitive result.

Normally, a combination of of PPIs or H2 blockers (i.e. Zantac or Pepcid) can be tried, along with dietary modification.

If the 24-hr pH study is positive, and the symptoms continue despite medication, you can consider more invasive therapies - such as endoscopic or surgical procedures.  

As for the LPR getting better - response would vary from patient to patient.  It would depend on the severity of disease.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
i have had many workups on gastrological problems and all they found was mild collitis

i am experiencing burping and upper abdomen swelling  all day when i go to bed in the morning it is fine can you explain
  thank you ,
               sandy
I have been burping a lot and have lots of gas in stomach. I went to my doctor, and they just gave me motilium and nexium for three months now, but still i have the same problems for three months now. What should i do?
Well, now tell me what you think of this!  I have been treated for anxiety for about 5 years now and everything they have tried has not helped.  We have come to the conclusion that I was suffering from panic attacks because I feel like I can't breathe.  So what do they do?  Put me on more meds.  I even had nasal reconstruction done in Nov. hoping that would take care of the constant congestion.  Now, it is great, I can breathe fine but i still have this horrible post nasal drip.  Had ct scan, MRI, blood work etc.. no allergies, nothing!  I have had hearburn on and off for about 1 year now.  I am starting to think that all this is because of a reflux problem.  I am seeing an ENT Monday to see what they think.  I have been through so much and I am hoping that maybe I can finally get an answer!  What other symptoms should i be looking for?  Also, do you know why reflux causes congestion and post nasal drip?