Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
gnawing, pulling sensation in stomach area
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

gnawing, pulling sensation in stomach area

I'm a 24 year old female.  I've had some dull pain in my upper left abdomen for a few months now.  It comes and goes throughout the day.  Never bothers me at night.  I burp more when the pain gets worse.  It feels like someone's tugging on my stomach.  If I push on that area it lessens the pain a bit.  I can't lay down on my right side without my stomach feeling like it's falling out of place.  What's going on?  I've seen a doctor.  He's done an ultrasound and a HIDA scan.  Both negative.  Had a scope which showed slight inflamation (inflammation) of my stomach lining.  He basically doesn't know what's wrong.  I've tried acid reducers.  No luck.  What's ailing me?  Is it possilbe this be all attributed to stress?  Can anyone offer any help?
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
From everything you described it does sound like it could be just some mild gastritis. I'm assuming they tested you for h. pylori and you were negative...(?). If that's the case, and you're not losing sleep or dropping pounds, you might want to simply try a little more "stomach-friendly" diet for awhile and see what that does. Reducing stress could probably help as well. If it gets worse or you still think there's something more going on after you've given your stomach a really good chance to heal, by all means you should pursue it further with your gastroenterologist.
Blank
Thanks for the reply Wilson.  I was tested for H-pylori and it was negative.  I will try the better diet and do my best to lessen the stress.  I was just concerned that maybe it was something more serious than gastritis.  I may try seeing another doctor for a second opinion.  Unfotunately, the first doc I saw didn't seem to take the time to diagnosis me correctly.  He was pretty quick to just blow me off.  Should I be avoiding the same types of foods as would a GERD sufferer?
Blank
I think you could benefit from a GERD diet even though you say acid reducers haven't helped you (GERD is an acid problem). Some of the things mentioned on some of the other threads could definitely help - cutting down on coffee, alcohol, acidic and spicy foods, CHOCOLATE (sorry), etc., and also trying to eat smaller meals more frequently. Keeping a little something in your stomach all the time helps protect the lining. And by the way, in addition to avoiding those foods you should avoid any doctor who blows you off!
Blank
Again, thanks so very much for your imput.  Chocolate will definitely be a difficult thing to avoid!  ;)  You've really relieved me of some worry.
Blank
You're very welcome. Hope you feel better soon.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank