Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
green bowel

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

green bowel

My bowel has been green for 2 days now. The color isn't exactly dark green, it's actually quite green like vegetable. The texture of the bowel is not solid and it has a vegetable texture. I did eat a spinach dip yesterday and I'm eating diet pills. Also when I'm in the bathroom, it feels like I'm constipated, but once it's out, it's that green bowel. So it's not like I have to go to the bathroom all the time, but once I do, it's green. I was wondering if this is normal and if I should do something about it?
  • Green Stool (1 replies):
    It just started today I had stomach pain and went to the...[more]
  • bowel movement (3 replies):
    stools are greem in color three days?
  • green poop (5 replies):
    i have had my stool be green for the past 4 days now its...[more]
  • Green Bowels (2 replies):
    The past 2 days I have been having normal and loose gree...[more]
  • Green Stool? (4 replies):
    Does anyone know what would cause green stool? I have ha...[more]
Green stools are most commonly caused by dietary changes (i.e. eating green food or vegetables).  

There are some cases of irritable bowel syndrome that can lead to green stools.  

If it continues despite appropriate dietary modifications, you can discuss whether an endoscopy is warranted with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I have chronic green stools and regular pain on my right side just below my ribcage. After a couple of episodes of severe pain I have been ultrasounded twice for Gallstones. None have been found. When I don't have green stool, I often get a yellow color in the water around stools as if it has oozed out of them. Is it possible that my Gallbladder or liver is overactive? My doc says removal of my Gallbladder may help or may not. Any opinion?

As a side note and probably unrelated, I have about 4 or 5 cavernous hemangiomas in my liver (average 1-2 cm). I had a large 7.5cm cavernous hemangioma successfully treated by RF at U of Wisconsin in Nov. 2004 (it has shrunk 30% or so). It had grown from 4 cm.
That happens when you eat black licorice too.
On July 11, 2006 I had my gallbladder with an benign tumor(Doctor report to me) removed. When I went for a check up 10 days after surgery,  my stool was still green.
I have not  returned eating  green vegetables as of yet. I have drank lots of water trying to get a normal for me stool color.
I have ghost pains even after surgery in the gallbladder, underneath the ribs around to the back, also burning has returned. When the doctor examined me it was so painful that I almost started crying. It set me back a few days of getting up and down again just like after second day of  surgery.  Any suggestion how I can get my stool under control and relief from the burning and pain?
A related discussion, My son has severe right side abdominal pain was started.