Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
green mucus in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

green mucus in stool

About a week ago I noticed my four year old son's stool had a jelly-like greenish colored mucus attached to the soft formed stool.  I wasn't worried until now, most of his poops (for lack of a better term) are like that still.

I know that mucus in stool is not normal for adults, but what about children.  Infection or something more serious?
In children, the classic "currant jelly" stool - representing a mixture of blood and mucous - is typically found in intussusception, which is a "telescoping" of the bowel.  Imaging such as a CT scan and ultrasound may be helpful.  A contrast enema is typically the standard to evaluate this.  

Any type of infection or inflammation may also be possible.  I would suggest sending the stool off for culture to rule out a bacterial infection.  Endoscopy can also be considered.

If the symptoms continue, I would suggest a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I was told it points to an inflammation in the intestines.  I'd at least call your pediatrician and see what she/he says.  My kids have had the same thing, and it was usually around the time when they were sick.
Green stool (not jelly-like) can sometimes be attributed to having consumed food or juice drinks that are purple in color.  The first time it happened to one of my kids I was shocked, but I was able to determine it came from drinking purple juice drinks, however, the stool did not have green mucous, the stool itself was green.
A related discussion, thick green mucous surrounding stool was started.
A related discussion, Intussusception - when to be   concerned? was started.