Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
help for nausea/belching

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

help for nausea/belching

For several yeas I have been suffering from severe nausea and belching that have gotten progressively worse.  Sometimes the gas in my system seems stuck in my stomach or esophagus and won't move, (which can make breathing difficult) or I even hiccough when food or gas is going up or down.  Lately I have begun to have chest pains with the belching.  I often belch first thing in the morning when I get out of bed, which baffles me since I rarely eat anything after about 7 pm.  At least a half a dozen times in the last two months I have woken up choking at 3 or 4 am.  Finally, I sometimes get shaky for no reason, which is sometimes relieved by eating.  I have been told I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, however, I have regular, normal bowel movements and no other symptoms of IBS other than sporadic abdominal pain.  Also, I have been told that the belching is related to air swallowing, however, I can't believe I could be swallowing that much air.  A gastroscopy showed minor gastroesophageal reflux and a gallbladder test showed excellent contraction.  An abdominal CT scan showed nothing abnormal.  All liver/pancreatic blood tests were normal and so was an H Pylori test.  Can IBS really cause all of my symptoms?  Also, why would gas get stuck in my system?  Can any of this be related to a hormonal imbalance?  

I am currently taking propulsid 20mg 2x a day, which helps a little.
Dear Kristen,
Gas does not get stuck in the gut.  However, people can actually swallow large volumes of gas without being aware of doing so.  Have you tried antigas meds such as Phazyme?

Hormonal changes with menstruation can slow motility and make any chronic symptom worse.
My father has the exact same problem-belching and a lot of nausea.  Ulcer has been ruled out.  He had his gall bladder removed couple years ago.  CT and endoscopy were normal.  Please help.
Have you ever been tested for gastroparesis,(delayed gastric emptying. By the fact that your doctor prescribed Propulsid, tells me that he feels you have some sort of delayed gastric emptying problem. If the propulsid doesn't help enough, there are other prokinteic meds out there to try.

Ask your doctor for as gastric emptying scan. It is painless and easy, and will tell you if a delayed gastric emptying problem is what you have. It doesn;t sound to me like you have IBS, although the symtoms (symptoms) you have could be considered IBS if nothing else show up positive.

Carol
Have you had an endoscopy with biopsies and a manometry?  My son has very similar symptoms, and GERD is the diagnosis.  He has had esophageal obstruction with choking, has the gas, bloating problems you mention, and also has nausea intermittently.  Do you know if you have eosinophils in your esophagus which causes inflammation and damage to the esophagus?  Fundoplication is planned for my 14 yr. old son, but several other tests must be performed first.  He has some other physical problems, too.  Best of luck to you.
for years i was rtold i had acid reflex and iam a big person
6ft 220 lbs.
The problem is Ive been taking tums ultr for the problem the last 2 years and its not any better. is there a better product to get rid of belching all night long? I,m up at least 2 times with sleep interupted and I have to drive an hour and a half to work each day so I need sleep.
thank you so much for any advice
I have GERD,Hiatel Hernia and Barretts esophagus.I take 30mg of Prevasid.My Doctor tells me that it is ok to stay on the Prevasid for the rest of my life. But I also read that is not a good idea, because the Drug company recomands to take the Prevasid only six to eight weeks.Maybee you could give me some alternatives for my Problems.
my brother 40 has suffered for some 25years he eats belches burps and vomits... he has seen many specialists at galveston research clinic 10years ago he was told he had no movement in his intestine they treated him with lupron which made him worse and left him some what impodent.. 5years ago mayo diagnosed him with rhuemanation syndrom (syndrome) told him it was a breathing disfunction and to do breathing theropy... this seems to relax him and he has learned to hold the food down instead 0of vomiting... the belching and pain in doing this is horrid. at mayo the test ran which checks to see if the food goes through was fine that day it did go through without any problems... however he usually almost always has the food sitting in his stomach he becomes very bloated gets extremely lathargic and almost passes out this can happen with everything he eats... it doesnt seem to matter- very rarely does the food pass through with no problem almost never. what does this sound like? can anyone help him he has tried propulsid with no help he is now taking phenergin to make him numb the pain and that seems to keep the food down longer but puts him kinda out of it... please help does he need to see a nuerologist?  who he cant bear to do any more tests he has been through them alll... where should he try next? thank you for your time and attention ***@****
can anyone offer a suggestion for my brother? is this gastroparesis?1/18/00