Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
help my intestines

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

help my intestines

6 months ago I noticed a cramp on the lft side of my chest, under my ribs, so I stopped jogging.It got worst, turning into a sharp pain even when I only walked.Diagnosed with hiatal hernia, I was given meds which didn't work.I noticed that the lower lft side of my abdomen was puffed out from above my groin up to my mid-stomach.I had bad reactions to food/milk with bad gas/cramping.I saw a gasto doc who thought I had celiac disease.I had an upper GI which was normal and tested positive for lactose intolerance after a hydrogen breath test.After a lactose-free diet for a month, the problems persisted.EVERY med and treatment I try, helps for 3 days and then the symptoms return.Now almost everything I eat causes gas, extreme cramping/pain in the lower left part of my abdomen, sometimes chest pains, and my intestine gets puffy and sticks out    whenever I eat.I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 days.Meds to prevent colon spasms has not helped.Sometimes even just a banana causes puffiness and cramping.My doc is convinced I have IBS but my stress level is not high and I exercise regularly.Also, I have never had any problems with any foods, especially milk.I think lactose intolerance/food allergies are a side effect of my problem, NOT the cause.I was in Costa Rica for 10 days, 8 months prior to all this, w/only mild nausea for 2 days upon my return. What could this be?I have never had gastro problems before and now feel constantly tired, cold, nose bleeds, chest pains. I started smoking to deal with the pain (I know its bad!) and feel like I'm developing an eating disorder. Help!
1 Comment
One side issued you might want to rule out is some sort of tropical disease you could have picked-up on your trip.
A tropical disease or a parasite like bilharzia/Schistosoma
I can relate to what sounds like your biggest problem, constant and persistant abdominal pain.  I eat, don't eat, nothing seems to make a difference.  I'm constantly and consistantly in abdominal pain. My main concern is the bloating.  It hurts and bothers me to no end.  I have had years of tests and various doctors.  I'm still looking for answers.  If you discover anything helpful in your situation, I would appreciate the much needed information.
Ihave a severe bloating form everything I eat ..causes me all knind of problems fatigue,pain in my back my knuckles in my hands ache and my stomacch feels like it is going to push righ up my throat. I have ahd a nissan wrap for a hiatial hernia and cannot burp. The operation cured the heartburn but the gas bloat is intolerable. I take gas.x ans it may help some but there has to be a better answere than IBS. Good luck there has to be a common thread for the gas bloat