Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
help my intestines
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

help my intestines

6 months ago I noticed a cramp on the lft side of my chest, under my ribs, so I stopped jogging.It got worst, turning into a sharp pain even when I only walked.Diagnosed with hiatal hernia, I was given meds which didn't work.I noticed that the lower lft side of my abdomen was puffed out from above my groin up to my mid-stomach.I had bad reactions to food/milk with bad gas/cramping.I saw a gasto doc who thought I had celiac disease.I had an upper GI which was normal and tested positive for lactose intolerance after a hydrogen breath test.After a lactose-free diet for a month, the problems persisted.EVERY med and treatment I try, helps for 3 days and then the symptoms return.Now almost everything I eat causes gas, extreme cramping/pain in the lower left part of my abdomen, sometimes chest pains, and my intestine gets puffy and sticks out    whenever I eat.I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in 2 days.Meds to prevent colon spasms has not helped.Sometimes even just a banana causes puffiness and cramping.My doc is convinced I have IBS but my stress level is not high and I exercise regularly.Also, I have never had any problems with any foods, especially milk.I think lactose intolerance/food allergies are a side effect of my problem, NOT the cause.I was in Costa Rica for 10 days, 8 months prior to all this, w/only mild nausea for 2 days upon my return. What could this be?I have never had gastro problems before and now feel constantly tired, cold, nose bleeds, chest pains. I started smoking to deal with the pain (I know its bad!) and feel like I'm developing an eating disorder. Help!