Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
hiatal hernia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

hiatal hernia

I had an upper endoscopy and the results found I had a small hiatal hernia causing a gap between my stomach and esophagus.
The Dr. has me on Previcad 30mg. and wants me to continue taking them for another month, then try going without.

My question is if I will always have the hernia, which has caused a gap why wouldn't the Dr's. choose NOT to close the gap, rather than take the meds. Especially if this is something I will have for the rest of my life (I am 51)

I understand that the acid reflux can cause serious damage to the lining of the esophagus, I was having pain in the upper stomach and in the area between my breast bone. I did not have the acid in the throat.

Is this normal procedure? What can I expect if I continue the meds.The meds. dont cure the problem by closing the gap they just releive the symtoms (symptoms) correct?

That is correct that the Prevacid will control your symptoms but not cure the problem. You should give the prevacid a try.If it works then you won't need surgery. However, if you continue to have problems even with the medications, surgery to repair the hernia is an option.
And if Prevacid doesn't work well for you ask your doctor about Nexium.  It is the best prescription drug on the market (in my opinion) to combat acid reflux.  The surgery done to repair the hiatal hernia is not a lifetime fix.  It is called Nissen Fundoplication and is suppose to last about 10 years.  Mine only lasted 6 1/2 years and now my acid reflux is back.  I'm taking Nexium and it works GREAT!
Ok I'm 2 days out of surgery and I feel like ****. I'm on oxycodone. And cannot swallow a thing. I'm 34 year old male non smoker. I really didn't have a choice in the matter for surgery. I was vomiting everyday. My hernia and gerd was repaired Lap. 5 incisions. Painful.  The oxy helps more with the pain than the morphine that I took in the hospital. You will expirience neck pain and shoulder pains due to the gas they use to expand your body so they can see inside you . For people that are unsure to have surgery or not is mainly how much medicine do you take??? Does it effect your work to the point you can't work?? I was on 80 mg nexium, pepsid a/c, alka seltzer and still throwing up. Their are risks to all surgeries . my friend at age 33 almost died from a blood clot after he broke his leg. So when they tell you to get up out of bed 1 day after surgery YOU listen and do it. So far I'm glad I had the surgery I have not thrown up. Yes it is a life style changer but you hve to ask yourself if you can live with gerd and hiatal hernia. IF you can do not get the surgery, if not get the surgery. I will try to keep you all informed. On my status .