Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
high liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

high liver enzymes

I would like to know how high liver enzymes can be before dangerous illness is possible> My liver enzymes in the last test were SGOT 53 and SGPT 74. This only just this year became a problem. I am 70 years old and do not drink liquor of any kind. Why would a liver test change from one year to the next? The only thing new is that I have been taking Celebrex. What could be the cause?
Celebrex.

Go to
http://www.healthsqr.com/newrx/CEL1078.HTM

then scroll down to where it says:
"Special warnings about this medication"
and you'll see:
"Celebrex has been known to cause kidney or liver problems, particularly in people with an existing condition. If you have such a disorder, take Celebrex with caution. If you develop symptoms of liver poisoning, stop taking the drug and see your doctor immediately. Warning signs include nausea, fatigue, itching, yellowish skin, pain in the right side of the stomach, and flu-like symptoms."

Or Go to
http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/celebrex.htm

then scroll down to where it says
"General Precautions with Celebrex"
"Serious problems such as liver damage have occurred in people treated with NSAIDs. Some of the warning signs of liver damage can be nausea, vomiting, fatigue, loss of appetite, itching, yellow coloring of skin or eyes, "flu-like" symptoms and dark urine. If this happens call your health care provider right away."

Your liver enzymes are mildly elevated. It could be a variety of things. Alcohol, tylenol, medications and viruses can cause these elevations. It is possible the Celebrex is causing it, it is also possible that the liver enzymes will go back to normal while on the celebrex. Consult your physician  before stopping the celebrex.