Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
how do i stop these severe stomach pains???

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

i was admitted to the emergency room 3 times, twice in 1999 and once just a few weeks ago with severe stomach pains. the first two times they gave me morphine and sent me home with no tests not knowing what it was. this latest time they did many tests but said there was nothing to do.
the pain was very severe like burning cramps and stabbing pains anywhere from bellow the bellybutton to just below the breasts. it would gradually get worse. it felt like very bad gas pains. i was constipated and eating or not made no difference. i had taken a zantac and an hour later i started vomiting til it was bile coming out.
they did gynecological tests and xrays and said that it was a blockage with my intestine due to my appendix operation i had when i was 7 (im now 27). they said there is nothing they can do, but i should take metamucil. since then ive still been experiencing these pains to a lesser degree but to a point i cant do anything but sit in pain.
if i take rolaids and drink coke it helps, but i cant live day to day like this. can you please tell me if they diagnosed me right and what i should do, if they are right what can i do, i cant live my life like this being rushed here and then to the hospital and lying at home in pain. if its not that, what could it be? will exercising on a daily basis and eating mostly fruit veggies and fibers help? although when i ate 100% fibre cereal i still got pains.
could this be more serious, like a cancer?

thanks you for helping me and guided me toward what to do.

claire
I have ulcerative colitis and the pains you discribed sound like the ones I have when my colitis is active, only they are confined to the pubic region below the belly button but they were very sever.  However, one thing to watch for if you have ulcerative colitis is blood in the bowel movements.  I also have recently had blood tests that showed elevated liver enzymes which I read can also cause sever abdominal pain not confined just to the pubic region.

My suggestion is if you see any blood or mucus in your bowel movements, ask for a colonoscopy.  Its not that bad and your given a mild sedetive during the procedure which pretty much puts you to sleep.

Also have them do a liver function blood test.  If this doesn't work out then ask for an ultrasound or even an MRI to see how sever the blockage is.  These tests would also reveal if there is any cancer.
Have you been to a gastroenterologist for a "Complete" GI work-up and not just the ER? If not, you should schedule an appt. with a GI for a FULL physical, including endoscopy. The ER docs are never any help. They totally weren't for me, but when I went to see a good GI I was finally helped!

-Jenn
cdk,  My condtion is similar but as with so many of these
symptoms described on this page, there as many causes and cures
as there are people.  My only suggestion at this point for me and
anyone else running out of ideas is to turn to the Creator.  He
made our bodies!  when in doubt read the owners manual! The Bible! It may not sound like the answer but its a start. ASk Him
to guide you and give you direction for treatment as well as peace while you wait on Him for YOUR pathway to health.

I can suggest something else and that is to get a juicer
( a good one) and begin drinking LOTS of carrot juice and
Green drinks (Leafy vegetable) . Remember juice your veggies
and eat your fruit, but fruit may cause more problems because
of all the sugar.  Get a Liver panel done and an Endoscopy
to look at what's happening. Just ideas....more later
must get some rest....and thats important too- keep stress
levels low (prayer really helps me) and get lots of R&R
(if possible)  I have two teenagers and that rules that out
sometime (haha)...God Bless you and BELIEVE...what have you got
to lose?  Give God a REAL chance!!    Keiffer   ...ps let us know how you are doing, ok?
Between tears today and praying, I too so appreciate this board,
I have been suffering with heartburn abdominal pain above belly button, Ct showed only uterus,cervix and kidney concerns. Have you heard of Mylicon?
Some days are better then others. Use either heat or ice packs on stomach, Follow healthy lifestyle and tried DGL and carrott juice. Oh this bland diet and how I need to eat more.
More blood work this week, Actually suggested by OBGYN : Celexa for depression: I took the test and showed Not depressed: Just depressed when nothing relieved pain, lol like us all.
Seratonin levels effect our stomachs. Why can certain foods digest easier then, I hope to hear more here. Miss turkey, avocado, But would rather Heal for good. Pepcid over the counter: suggested Since all PPi's, H2s did not help and had heart pounding side effects.........
Hope your tummy is better.......
I am a church goer too and I must say the above mentioned comment on the juicer thingy got me a tad mad. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when I was 13( I'm now 25)and at that time people in my church told my parents the same thing.  They followed the advise and I got so sick I was rushed to a childrens hospital for an emergency operation, where my parents were told that my intestines had gotten so bad from this "juice diet" that it was falling apart like jell-o in their hands! I just want to say that is is very good and smart to pray and ask God to help you when your sick but also be smart enough to realize that God but Drs. on this earth for a reason!  I made it out o.k. thanks to the doctors and Gods safe kepping but we made sure to follow everything the doctors said after that.  Be careful about what you try and always talk with your doctor first!