Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
how serious is gastritis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

how serious is gastritis
I have been diagnosed with gastristis. Inflamation of the ling of the stomach. My doctor says if I continue to take asprin, I could end up in a very serious condition. He says this can be fatal. Is he right? I have chronic neck pain, that will eventually lead to surgery, and tylenol does not help at all. I am on medication for my stomach, and he had to change the medication twice, and up the dosage, because I am still in pain, and very bloated. How long will this take to heal? I am watching my diet and taking only tylenol for now.  Hope you can help
You may want to read this http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs46.htm.  

Any chronic inflammation can lead to serious problems.  Gastritis is just stomach inflammation and has many causes.  In your case it sounds like long term aspirin use is to blame.  I would definitely follow the doctors advice and try alternatives to pain killers known to cause this.  Any long term inflammation is serious, so best to fix it and eliminate the cause when possible.  Be careful not to take too much tylenol.  It is safe, generally, but excessive quantities can cause liver problems.  Stick with doctors recommendation, I think.
What test or medication showed you have gastritis?
What symptoms bother you most ?