Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
hydascan

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

hydascan

What does a hydascan check for?
Can pressure,severe pain starting below the ribs cage after eating radiating up to sometimes the neck and gas  be gall bladder?  Only relief standing tall with arms raised in air. Stones ruled out in ultrasound.
I think you are referring to a HIDA Scan. This is a cut and paste which explains it.

A HIDA scan is an imaging test used to examine the gallbladder and the ducts leading into and out of the gallbladder. In this test, also referred to as cholescintigraphy, the patient receives an intravenous injection of a radioactive material called hydroxy iminodiacetic acid (HIDA). The HIDA material is taken up by the liver and excreted into the biliary tract. In a healthy person, HIDA will pass through the bile ducts and into the cystic duct to enter the gallbladder. It will also pass into the common bile duct and enter the small intestine, from which it eventually makes its way out of the body in the stool.

HIDA imaging is done by a nuclear scanner, which takes pictures of the patient's biliary tract over the course of about two hours. The images are then examined by a radiologist, who interprets the results. It is generally a very safe test and is well tolerated by most patients.

Usually, HIDA scans are ordered for patients who are suspected of having an obstruction in the biliary tract, most commonly those who are thought to have a stone blocking the cystic duct leading out of the gallbladder. Such a scenario is consistent with acute cholecystitis, which often requires surgical removal of the gallbladder. In cholecystitis, HIDA will appear in the bile ducts, but it will not enter the cystic duct or the gallbladder -- a finding that indicates obstruction. If the HIDA enters the bile ducts but does not enter the small intestine, then an obstruction of the bile duct (usually due to stones or cancer) is suspected.

I just had the Hida Scan 3 days ago.  I wish I would have had it done sooner.  I had pain under the rib cage and pressure kind of like a tight belt wrapped around that area.  I am still waiting for my results, but the test itself was not in the least bit uncomfortable.  Sometimes ultrasounds are not as effective in diagnosing gallbladder problems if no stones are present, which was my case.  Good luck,hope everything works out for you.
I had a Hida Scan a month ago and have 1% gallbladder ejection fraction, ie, it don't work.  I am undergoing further testing to see what I will have done.
A related discussion, Gallbladder? was started.