Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
hypotonic or hypertrophic pyloric sphincter????

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Has anyone ever had this problem????I tried looking it up  but all I find so far is that is affects infants the first few weeks of life....nothing on adults. I am 34 so this is why i'm puzzled. I had an upper GI test done several weeks ago and just saw my MD yesterday and he told me this is what I have. The Dr. doing the test was so baffled he called in two other much more experienced radiology Dr.'s to watch the monitor during my test and told me what they saw and that I will be sent to a GI specialist by my Primary Dr. None of the Dr's can believe I haven't had nausea or vomiting and they feel I probably have had this my whole life (duh!) So if anyone know of this or has this I would be very interested in what symptoms you have/had  and what was done if anything to correct this.   Thanx!
1 Comment
K,

I had pyloric stenosis as an infant (4 months) - which involves the pyloric sphincter.  Whenever I ate, you could look at the stomach and see a big ball form; then I would vomit.

Basically, they went inside and split the sphincter opening.  The doctor said at that time that if I had been born 5 years earlier (this was 1953), they wouldn't have had a cure.  At that time, he also said that it usually effected boys.  

From what I understand, rarely it can reoccur.

I hope you get to feeling better soon!