Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
inhomogeneous decreased attenuation of the liver

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I had a CT scan for poss. divercu. which was neg. Report states: Somewhat inhomogeneous decreased attenuation of the liver.  Liver is enlarged 26 cm in length, Gallbladder removed. Borderline enlargement of retroperitoneal nodes measuring up to 10mm. Spleen near upper limits of norm. w/o evidence of focal splenic abnormality. IMPRESSION:    Hepatomegaly w/inhomogeneous fatty infiltration of the liver, Borderline splenomegaly, Borderline enlargement of retroperitoneal & liver hila nodes of uncertain signficance. I'm type 2 diabetic & carry wt, around stomach.  I have no appetite & when I do eat I can't eat much, I get full real fast. I can go all day w/o eating. I take Metformin. There were times I didn't take it because of hypogylcemic attacks. I guess what is odd is that I get those attacks even when not taking Metformin.  My lowest level was 32 & last week was 49 & I wasn't on the Metformin due to CT Scan w/contrast. My diabetic score is 8 which concerns my dr.  I take meds for cholestrol and tryglicerides. I have dark red tiny spots w/lighter red circle around them on my upper back, chest & arms.  (My dr. says my liver causes them.)   I get nausea a lot & haven't been able to vomit for 17 yrs due to a Nissan repair. I  am a 55 yr old female who is disabled due to chronic pain from peripheal neuropathy & 10 back surgeries. I have IBS w/constipation. I suffer from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue & arthritis.  The last 2 mos. I haven't felt well & had pain that went from the middle of my back around to left side of my stomache.  Which is why I had the CT Scan. I get even more exhausted lately and quickly. I can't get into my GI doctor until 12-18 & have tried looking some of the terms up but can't get any info on my Title question.  I want to know what my CT liver report means in terms I can understand.

Thank you
Tags: Liver
Can't say for sure without seeing the report.  There does appear to be enlargement of the liver as well as the presence of fatty liver.  The latter finding is most often caused by alcohol or non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.

I would abstain from alcohol and obtain blood tests to exclude viral causes of hepatitis.  If negative, sometimes losing weight can help with the fatty liver finding.

Further testing can include an MRI, and if the liver enzymes are elevated, a liver biopsy can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
www.twitter.com/kevinmd
I forgot to add that I am not a drinker.  So it is definately not due to alcohol.  I would love to lose some weight but I don't eat anything as it is.  I have never been able to eat much.  I had to eat one of those nuculear egg salad sandwiches which showed that I am slow to digest  my food.  I have a friend that is the same and we always split lunch when we get together because I can never complete a meal.  My husband likes it because he can finish what I can't.  I am not obesed but am about 25 pounds heavier than I have ever been.  I have always been considered real thin.  I am waiting for my blood tests.  The size of my liver, 26cm, spleen, hilar nodes, sounds like there is a problem w/my liver making glyocon, red liver spots, all makes me a bit nervous.  Everything takes so long to find out. Wait for appt., wait for whatever tests need to be taken, wait for the results.  Puts a lot of stress on a person.

Thanks for your input
A related discussion, Inhomogenous liver with partial fatty infiltration was started.