Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
ischial tuberosities

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

ischial tuberosities

I wrote a while back to you.  I want to know what are ischial tuberosities? I really never got an answer to that. What relation to the spine is it?  If you have a spine problem, SI joint dysfunction, could that cause problems with your bowels, especially burning.  When I wrote the last time my symptoms weren't as bad as they are now.  My diagnosis back then was anorectal junction is at the level of the ischial tuberosities and changes to approximately 3cm below the tuberosisties during defecation.  I need to ask what do they mean changes to 3cm below the tuberosisties.  Is this normal or could this help inexplaining why my bowels are either constipated or really soft.  I have alot of burning going up partially my spine, it feels on fire.  My transverse and descending colon also burn as do my flanks.  It has become unbearable.  I do have fissuring in my L4/5 spine, but would this cause the burning in all these places.  Also could my bowels have an infection causing this burning. ?My psoas isn't functioning properly either pr my therapist, I have had many pelvic surgeries, none of these problems before the surgeries.  The burning really concerns me.  This didn't start until after the therapy.  This might be a mix of problems with adhesions and my bowels sticking to my pelvic and abdominal walls again, but I have another appt. up north with a doctor and am tired of being misdiagnosed, the pain has become debilitating and I don't know where else to turn or what to take, pain meds just don't seems to help.  Anyways, I know these are alot of questions but please answer as many as you can especially the one about what is ischial tuberosites.  Also is it possible probably not probable but poss that when you have your intestines and small bowels out of your body could they when being put back in not be in their normal anatomic place, I never had these bowel problems before that, I do have a long and tortous colon so maybe this is another thing.  Thanks so much for your time  
Surgeon has kindly answered your question in his comments below and I agree with his assessment.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
the ischial tuberosities are the bottom part of the pelvic bones, the ones you sit on. The words were describing the degree to which the rectal tissues move during defecation. It sounds normal; although you ought to be getting specific explanations of the results from the doctor who ordered the test. Burning pain is often the result of irritated nerves. You may have burning pain in the locations you describe, but it's really not possible to feel burning actually in the parts of the colon which are within the abdomen. That's not how the nerves to the colon work. So a sensation of burning in those areas is likely not from your colon, and, given your back problems and relation to therapy, it well could be due to nerve irritation in the spine.