Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
klebsiella pneumoniae

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

klebsiella pneumoniae
PTM
I have had GI problems, fatigue and depression for a long time.

My stool analysis from Great Smokey Labs showed the presence of Klebsiella  pneumoniae .
Can Klebsiella  pneumoniae  make you very ill? Can it cause depression, or malabsorption? If you have had it for 10 years or more, what type of damage can it cause ?

How is it best treated if you have had  a infection for a long time?
Bacterial GI infections normally can be treated with antibiotics.  There should be a culture and sensitivity report, with a list of antibiotics that the bacteria should be sensitive to.  If you take one of these antibiotics, it should clear the infection.

I am not aware of an association with depression.

Malabsorption can be evaluated via the appropriate stool studies, or with blood tests to evaluate for celiac disease.  

As for long-term damage, I would consider a colonoscopy that can thoroughly evaluate the lower GI tract.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Hi I also have klebsiella pneumonia 4 plus. 2 weeks of cipro, came back a week later.  Again 2 weeks of cipro came back again.  How long should I stay on the antibiotic?  I don't notice any relief until the 10th or11th day of the antibiotic. What do you think?  Distention in stomach, burping, constipation gets horrible.  
A related discussion, about klebsiella pnemoniae was started.