Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
left chest pain - possible hiatal hernia/esophageal spasms???????

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have been on a round of Aciphex and Reglan for 1 month.  I am 45 years old a slightly over weight - 25 lbs. or so.  I initially went to the DR. due to recurrent chest pain next to my esophagus on the left side - directly over my heart.  He basically ruled out heart problems by the symptoms of my 'pain'.  I am still having the chest pain (which was relieved on the Reglan).  It occurs mainly when I turn a certain way - lay on that side while sleeping, or when I bend over.  Many times when I bend over it has a 'pulling' feeling more than pain.  I am 'stumped' as to what this could be - possibly a hiatal hernia??  My mother has a hx of HH and trouble with reflux.  I am stopping caffiene (only have had 1 cup in the am - ever) and alcohol ( 1-2 glasses of wine and club soda in the evenings occ.).  I don't smoke or drink sodas.  Any advice as to whether this sounds like HH??  I also have some chest soreness on the left side in addition to the occassional 'spasms' which always occur in the same place.  The DR. said to give it a month more on Aciphex and see if the symptoms subside.  Any advice - if this is HH will I have to live with this pain and discomfort??  Any advice is appreciated.........Thanks
I'm 24 and I had hiatal hernia.  My GERD was very severe back in January, and I had surgery for the hiatal hernia in April called Nissen Fundoplication.  Prevacid and meds like that didn't work.  The surgery seems to have helped immensely.  

Your symptoms sound very much like GERD and possibly hiatal hernia.  With hiatal hernia, the most comfortable position is supposed to be laying down on your left side or being elevated.  On your right side or flipped upside down, the reflux can freely roll upwards easier.  That's what it sounds like to me from my experience...but I'm not a doctor; so hopefully you can find one that doesn't just put you on medicine and shove you off.  

There are many alternatives out there to help you; so I wouldn't worry about suffering with this for the rest of your life.  The best thing you can do is be informed of your options and be aggressive enough with your doctor if he doesn't satisfy your wellness needs.  Good luck and God bless.
See my post a few days ago.. I have the EXACT same problem..!
I so appreciate both of your comments.  It is always scary when we have medical problems.  I am getting a little older and things are starting to 'begin'.  I am hoping that this 'sensation' - pain will get better with weight loss - I have already lost 8 lbs and am working toward losing another 12.  I have heard that weight loss can also help with HH and GERD.  It is so scary to have pains in the chest area - as you all well know......thanks again and any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.....
Ok, I've had it with these pains that wake me up in the middle of the night. I KNOW it's not acid reflux. It was a pain trying to figure out what to put in the search engine! lol So now I know what it is, and I don't NEED a mannometry test. I don't need a doctor to tell me what I already know. So, since I know what it is, thanks to all of you writing in, [thank you VERY much]

So what do you all take to relax those spasms? I am an herbalist and since I just came to know what it's like tonite, I will have to research to see if there's any herbs that will relax that part of me enough to do some good. My email address is ***@**** if anyone wants to write me and see what I've found out. I may not find my way back here again, but I'll try.

I can't lie on either side when sleeping, because I get spasms that wake me out of dead sleep. Just last nite, 8/2/02 was the first nite when it went to sleeping on either side. Before that it was just sleeping on my right side.
Does weight have anything to do with it? I am going to lose weight, I would think that would help. Anything to help with less pressure, wouldn't you think? The forum won't let me post for this so I'm trying under this thread.
A related discussion, Spasms was started.