Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
left lower quadrant pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

left lower quadrant pain

I am an 18 year old who started experiencing mild left, lower abdominal pain about two and a half months ago. The pain developed into the feeling of a marble in my left lower abdomen and my left kidney became sore. I visited an infirmiry, where a urine sample showed a possible UTI. I took medication for the UTI and my symptoms disappeared, but only for awhile. About two weeks later the pain in my abdomen returned. Sometimes it is constant, a sore pain. Sometimes it is a burning discomfort. And my left kidney has begun to hurt again. I have no other symptoms. I have looked up what these symptoms could be caused by and have found nothing to comfort me. I am going to see a doctor, but I would like to be prepared for anything that is wrong with me. Does anyone have an idea?
Please help me. I had an occassionlal lower back pain which now has spread to my right side and occasionally I feel it in my right side of stomach. Its no pain when I walk only when I sit or occasionally lay down. When to orthopedic who took xrays and no prob. Wants me to do physical therapy. Im 24 and think its more to it. What do u suggest? What type of doctor should I see.
Almost sounds like a kidney stone but you certainly will need to see a Dr. first and an ultra sound will tell better. If that is your problem it usually can be solved quickly with either a medical procedure which may or may not include some type of sugery. Usually kidney stones are painful but many times there are no symptoms at all.  Your visit to a Dr. should put your mind at ease and improve your comfort.
Thanks for the information. Doc did say it was probably a kidney stone because he found a lot of blood in the urine. I go in for a dye test Mon. I appreciate your taking the time out to give me the information.
Hullo again. Can someone help me out once more? My symptoms are now: lower left abdominal pain that drifts to the lower middle pelvis sometimes or higher to my left flank, lft kidney tenderness, and blood in the urine (only seen under microscope). I had an IVP done and the X-ray tech told me that they did not find kidney stones and that "it must be an infection." 1) If they had seen something other than kidney stones, would she have told me while I was there? She shouldn't lie, should she? 2) What else could it be?
http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/medcast_channel_toc/1686

Great site for Medical help!
Just one more thing. I have another symptom now... blood in the stool. It is bright red, but I cannot tell if it is separate from the stool or not. It is not a large amount.