Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
liver enzymes and chromium picolinate

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

liver enzymes and chromium picolinate

Does anybody out there know if chromium picolinate affects the liver enzymes?  It does lower your cholesterol and burns fat and builds muscle.  It is sold over the counter and it did for me what it claims to do.  However, my liver enzymes skyrocketed suddenly and many blood tests have been done and nothing makes sense yet. I took it for 3 years off and on. It has been 6 months now and still no answers.  They went back into the normal range but elevated to 45 last month.  They were 239 in Jan.  Ultrasound was normal.  Thanks!:)
There have been studies where it contributed to kidney failure. I'm not sure about liver failure, but a quick search gave these sites:

http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExecSumm/ChromiumPicolinate.html
(click "toxicology".....then scroll to animal studies.)

http://www.virtualhealthinfo.com/supp/chromium.htm
(scroll to side effects....mentions liver dysfunction)

http://www.anyvitamins.com/chromium-info.htm
(scroll to toxicity....mentions liver damage)

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/cpQ4.html
(Q & A)

Thank you for the info.  I couldn't find anything but I am somewhat new at exploring the internet.  These sites were helpful.  My GI doctor knew nothing about chromium..scary, huh? My regular M.D. and believe it or not my dermatologist knew more and are alot more helpful than the GI doc.  At 400 mcg these two doctors didn't think it was a problem, just cut to 200 mcg but when I started it again they went up again (enzymes) which could also be due to a tooth infection I have had for 1 1/2 years!  We'll see after I have the tooth root surgery..ahhhhhhh!
i recenctly went to the docter for for a cdl physical, I am overwieght so he performed some routine blood tests and found my liver enzymes to be elevated. I am wondering what effects the energy drinks such as Red bull would have in this area. For a time I drank at least one a day.
hi,
i might be mistaken here, but the last time i checked muscle is composed of amino acids which are proteins.  Minerals are key componets of many cells and necessary at just the right proportions to enhance and facilitate the trillions of
Bio-chemical reactions taking place harmoniously in our bodies
each and every second.  Chromium has been the mineral most closely related to the pancreas.  Find a real, i mean bio-availble, source of chromium.  One that works because it is in a form your body recognizes as food, goes through your GI system
and is used as nature intended vs taking a so called artificial, synthetic, man-made laboratory potion.  I would think that since your Liver and Kidneys are overburdend, you need to re-evaluate where your at and where you want to go and get with it quick! CHANGE is GOOD!  LIFE is MOTION!  TIME is MOST PRECIOUS of ALL!
peace to all,