Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
liver hemangiomas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

liver hemangiomas

Ok I have been feeling ill (weak and just not myself) for the past 3 months I have had an ESR rating of 48 which has now gone down to 2 and slightly high platelet level. Recently I have been having upper abdominal pain and went for an ultrasound. The ultrasound found something that the doctor says is a hemangioma. I was wondering how sure he can be with the finding through an ultrasound and also if it could be cancerous. The hemangioma is on my liver and is 2.2 cm. Another question I have is how do you treat or get rid of these hemangiomas.

By the way I am a 26 year old male who is usually healthy and athletic.
A hemangioma is typically a benign lesion that is not associated with liver cancer.  

Typically, they can be observed.  However, if there is rapid growth - or if the lesion grows greater than 5cm, then removal can be considered.  

You can consider a CT scan or MRI for further definition of the lesion.

Discussion of possible removal can be done in conjunction with a surgeon.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Hi, I was just diagnosed with a liver hemangioma the same size as yours in December. I am having upper abdominal pain so they did a catscan and found it. To make sure that is what it was. they did another catscan and confirmed it was a hemangioma. All my drs are saying it is not causing my pain (since then have been diagnosed with a bad gallbladder), since these are asymptomatic unless they are giant (which ours are not). They will monitor mine every six months for awhile to make sure it is not growing...that is the only thing they do worry about. These are benign and since ours is soo small should not be of concern. I am a healthy 34 year old, so wondered why I had one of these and the drs say I have most likely had since birth. Because these are asymptomatic, most people that do have them usually never even know because they are found accidentally when testing for other problems. They do not recommend surgically removing these, again unless they grow or are giant. Please feel free to ask me any questions, as I have done a ton of research the last two months...but am not a dr.

VAN
HI thanks for the response. I am really concerned because I have been feeling ill for months and Im not too sure if this hemangioma is what is causing it. I have also read that they have no symptoms... So that doesnt explain why my stomach feels hard and bloated and the pain that I get in the abdomin (abdomen) area. The bloating has been on and off for a few weeks now and I have been to the doctor numerous times concerning this and other problems. Im getting really frustrated with this. Did you have liver function tests done to see if your liver was normal?

Hi.  I was also told I have a liver hemangioma.  This was years ago and I don't remember how big it was.  One thing for sure is that it cannot be biopsied as the liver is extremely vascular and it would cause too much bleeding.  I was having a lot of bloating then also and general stomach distress.  I was found to have GERD, or reflux, and with treatment with PPI's like Protonix, it went away.  I actually forgot about the hemangioma!  One that size will not cause symptoms and they certainly wouldn't want to take it out.  If your liver enzymes are normal, and I would ask to have  it done if only for peace of mind, then just forget about it!  PS I am an RN.
It may be related to a different problem. Like me, they found it when trying to figure out what is causing my abdominal pain. My bloodwork for my liver came back fine. However, they have found my gallbladder is not functioning properly which is causing my abdominal pain. Did they look at your gallbladder during the ultrasound? You may want to ask your dr about a hida scan to test it, since I dont have stones that is the test that discovered my problem. Where is your pain at in your abdomen?

VAN
I was dign
I am a 32 yo female recently diagnosed with a liver hemangioma 4.3cm.  via sonogram and CT.  I am experiencing nausea and some pain, don't know if it has anything to do with the hemangioma, but wonder what options I have for treatment and if it is safe for me to get pregnant...I heard that the risk of hemorrage is greater during pregnancy as well as the possibility of increased growth....    

Hi, I just had a baby 7 months ago and they found the 7mm hemangioma 2 months ago during a CT scan for abdominal pain (drs say is not causing the pain). I want to have another child, so asked three drs and they all said I could. However, I cannot be on birth control since those can (not proven) make it grow. I have done alot of research online and it is very rare that these rupture during labor. Have you discussed with your dr?

VAN

I was just diagnosed with a liver hemangioma. I am 30 years old and 14 weeks pregnant.
I have been suffering from severe acid reflux and bloating for 7 months and even though endoscopy did not reveal anything and acid reflux medications does not help I never got an explanation for my problems. I noticed a month ago a mass below my heart where the rib cage comes together. I have also had severe pain in my right side, mistakenly diagnosed for gallbladder problems. The ultrasound yesterday showed a clean gallbladder with no signs of distress but
I finally got diagnosed through ultrasound with a liver hemangioma explaining my mass , and I am now really worried. I did not find out the size, but I am worried about my pregnancy and can I continue my athletic lifestyle?
What other tests needs to be done, and what could be done during pregnancy? Can it rupture during delivery?
I am so worried, please help.
Anna
Any recommendations for the pain, tenderness and bloating in the abdominal related to liver hermangiomas?  
My husband already had a CT scan, ultrasound and blood work.  CT scan found 2 in the liver (both under 3cm) and 1 cysts in the kidney, tests are negative for any hepatitis, however, he is feeling very weak (past 4 weeks), loss appetite (loss 5 lbs in 2 weeks), low grade fever.  One of the doctors prescribed antibiotics (took it for 2 weeks), he's not getting better and now they are recommending him to wait and see but we find this recommendation to be unsatisfactory.
Hi!  My mom has been feeling the same ab pain as well.  She had an ultrasound, and they found a hemagioma (~5 cm) or so...She's been hospitalized, and they've been doing so many blood tests on her.  CT scan shows some "masses" in the liver (are these the hemagioma's?)

The doc just informed me of the "masses" this evening...and suggest it "may" be cancer, but they're unsure.  They're going to do an ultrasound biopsy TOMORROW...but i've read on how the liver is quite vascularized, and if it's not careful, they may pop the hemagioma!  

HOw bad is the situation???  My mom has always been healthy, until recently she started to feel ab pain after taking excessive pain medications!  I'm so scared at her condition, and have been browsing the net in search for some news, hopefully, comforting news!
since you did so much research...is there any way i can contact you personally? It'd be awesome to hear what info's you've gathered.  My family has been totally down since this evening.  I've been crying!  I so hope it's not cancer!!!
actually, her liver is swollen (about 1/2 larger than the norm)...and she CT scan shows swollen lymph nodes!!!  aY yah!  Please help!  i'm desperate!
actually, her liver is swollen (about 1/3 larger than the norm)...and she CT scan shows swollen lymph nodes!!!  aY yah!  Please help!  i'm desperate!
oh gosh...i just spoke w/ the doc and they said it seems not to be hemangioma!  I'M GOING BERSERKO!  please advise!
I am a 39 y-o mother of 4 who had a liver resection over a year ago to remove 3 giant hemangiomas.  They measured 9cm, 11cm and 12.5cm.  They affected both lobes of the liver.  They just removed the giant ones and left behind 4-5 much smaller ones.  My question to anyone out there who may know is this -- Can they grow back?  How likely are the ones left behind to grow to giant sizes?  I am a RN who has done massive amounts of research on this subject and I cannot find an answer.  I have a 13inch scar running across my abdomen to remind me of the hell I went through to have them removed and tomorrow is my one year CATSCAN.  I have been having signs of the early symptoms that I experienced almost 2 years ago...  lightheadedness, growing belly (I'm 5'4" and 118 lbs).  That's how it started.  I am afraid that they will grow back.  The thoughts floating around the med community is that estrogen fuels the growth of hemangiomas.  To the person with liver hemangiomas contemplating birth control pills -- don't!  That was the first question asked of me when they saw I had "tumors" on sonogram.  I had 3 pregnancies in 4 years and pregnancy also is believed to fuel hemangioma growth due to the increased hormone production.  That is why women present more often than men with this condition.  Disclose info about your hemangiomas to your doctor when discussing bc pills and pregnancy.  Any ideas about re-growth out there?
Hi, I'm a 37 year old female & had been having upper abdominal pain for aprox a year now, recently I had been feeling really bloated in the upper right side (right under rib cage)went to the Dr's & during ultrasound they found 2 masses in my liver.were also able to "feel" my liver from the outside??
After Nuclear scan,endoscopy,CT & MRI they are still "thinking" they are hemangiomas measuring 4.5 x 6.5 & 3.3 x 2.5 in the right lobe of the liver. I am so frustrated because after all these tests they are still just unsure, They say they look like hemangiomas but are not acting like hemangiomas... They Dr's won't tell me its not cancer as of yet, but from what I have read Biopsy is VERY dangerous, what other options are out there to rule out cancer?
I am a wife & mother of 2, I feel like I need some answers.
any information woudl be helpful.
Tiff
Looks as though most of us are in the same boat - hemagioma, pain, nausea, bloating, and that most the doctors say the symptoms are not related to the hemangioma. Obviously, after reading everyones comments, the symptoms are related to the hemangioma. I have personally known that, but you all have confirmed it for me. To try to answer some of your questions from my research - they should not be biopsied; pregnancy can cause them to grow as well as bc pills; doctors don't think they will grow back but it's not conclusive; they claim they are normally asymptomatic (obviously not); the liver can still function normally; info about what is considered a giant/large tumor varies.
I'm glad to have found this site, and if there are any more specific questions that I have researched, I will be glad to let you know what I have found. The biggest problem is that it is not black and white - proffessionals have different opinions so obviously they don't know enough about hemangiomas of the liver to give any of us conclusive answers. Good luck and God bless you all!
I have been obsessed with doing research since my diagnosis so I would interested to talk to who someone else who is experiencing the same things I am and to know more about your personal experience/knowledge. E-mail: ***@****
I was diagnosed with a giant cavernous liver hemangioma in August 2005, after my doctor ordered an ultrasound for abdominal pain.  The mass measured 6.7 cm. The ultrasound also revealed gallstones which probably was the reason for my pain.  I had an emergency CT scan a day later and the scan measured the mass even bigger at 7.2 cm.  I was told that this is a pretty large tumor but they are just going to keep doing ultrasounds every 6 months to see if it is growing.  I just had my second ultraound in January and it has grown to nearly 7.8 cm. The radiologist said measuring techniques may be the reason for the size difference.  I guess I will find out during my next scan if it has grown more.  I had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago and most of the pain I was feeling has improved so it was mainly my gallbladder that was acting up. Sometimes I have pain around my liver area but it is not too bad. I think it may be pain left over from my gallbladder surgery.  The surgeon said I may be a good candidate for Catherization Embolization if it grows much bigger.  I am only 5' 2" and weigh 120 pounds so I don't have much room for something too big to be growing inside.  I have heard of people having hemangiomas that are are over 10 cm.  Removing them is a pretty risky operation because of the risk or hemhorrage, so I am opting to have scans every 6 months until the doc feels they should intervene.  For those that have small hemangiomas (less than 4 cm), please don't worry too much.  My surgeon told me not to do contact sports like football or anything that could cause your liver to be hit hard.  Otherwise, there have been only very few cases of these tumors rupturing.  A lot of times people are born with these things (like a birthmark inside) and have them their whole life. Hope this helps
Hello
I too was just diagnosed with a henagioma. I am not yet sure of the size, I am scheduled for an MRI in a couple of weeks. I too have been experiencing abdominal pain, headaches, weakness and bloating (I look pregnant). I don't have much of an appetite and when I do eat I feel worse..............does any one know if this is common? I am usaually quite active but lately I have no energy and hurt in places I didn't know could hurt (my spine and back of my head) I see that most doctors say that this cannot cause bloating etc...but in reading the posts most people have been experiencing these sypmptoms.
Hi Everyone past ten years I was diagnosis liver hemangiomas the begin it was 3cm long about last year it was about 8cm long. I did radio frequect albation it shrunk to 5cm but I am still in pain in my right side and nausea. the pain get worse when I sit for about 15 minutes & driving my car laying down on my right side. the possible I might have to do another albation or have liver resecition done on my right lobe on my liver. Please someone give me advice on this Thanks
Hi, had a question for anyone who has had a single liver hemangioma. I was diagonesed with a hemangioma about 14 years ago. recently, through a sonogram my hemangioma has gotten a little bigger. the gastronologist told me that it was unusual for someone to have only one hemangioma and that most people have several at a time on their liver.Mine is in the left lobe of the liver. what are some treatments if possible without surgery to make this shrink? If anyone can shed any light on this topic it would be great to hear a comment back thanks!!!!!!!!1
I am going in for Radio frequect ablation to shrink the hemangioma. I also have 1 but it got big it was 3cm and last year it about 9cm. I did the RFA proceduce it shrink about 1/2 of the size now it is about 5cm. I am going in for another session of RFA june 26, 2006. If you have any questions please be free to email me ***@****. or leave message on here. take care
In Nov 2005 I found a 17 cm hemangioma of the liver.  I had surgery on Dec. 23rd to remove the mass. But, It was to big to remove, so I spent 7 long days over the holidays in the Hospital.  Feb 13th,  we had cemo-embolzation done and shut off 2 blood vessels, but after 90 days, the tumor has started to die but, but shrink yet.  So I just had surgery agian to shut off 3 more blood vessels so at this time there is no blood flow going to the tumor.  
I am lost for what to think about all of this.  I just want it to shrink and go away.  I am trying to get a second opion, but don't know what hospital to sned my information to.  
I have bee threw alot and I am tried of surgery's.
Hi everyone....I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or answers as to what to do....six months ago my doctors found a     6.0 x 7.5cm hypodense mass on a catscan.  I havent gone to see a specialist for it as of yet....I go see him for the first time on Wednesday.  I guess I have just been putting it all off since they found it.  I just turned 29, and I am a single parent....I guess I am just scared as to what they will tell me I need to do, or as to what is realy wrong.  If anyone has advice or any information about anything....please let me know. Is my mass that big????  My lung doctor says it is about the size of a softball...and that I shouldnt be drinking any alcohol anymore....Is this true??  Please help if you can...Thank you!
Hey thanks Joanne for shedding some light on this for me. I was beginning to think that i was the only one on here that had only one hemangioma. I told you that the doctor found that to be unusual. My other question to you is what exactly do they do to you with this radio frequent ablation that you had done?? I know that it seems that were all in the same boat and so many people on here have alot of questions and worries. Once you get this procedure done is it suppose to keep them shrunk for good??I read earlier on one of your paragraphs that you said your side hurts and that you get nausea is that all the time??? I have not experienced any of that just a little worried that this might get bigger. My gastronologist told me to come back in 3 months for another sonogram to see if it grew then he said we will go from there. does this seem like proper procedure or did your doctor do something sooner????? Thanks for all the questions that you answered. It has helped me understand all this a little better.      

Karen
Hi, everyone.  I am in the process of undergoing testing.  I had symptoms of gall stones and went to my doctor.  I was having pain in my right shoulder and on my right side at the rib cage.  The pain comes and goes.  My doctor sent me for an ultrasound.  The specialist said that I had no gall stones but that I had a 7cm mass in my liver.  I then had one kind of CT scan, and they said that I needed another because that one did not show the liver at the right angle.  Today, I went in for a second CT scan.  Since I didn't hear back from anyone today, I am assuming that the news was good, i.e., it was not cancer but truly a hemangioma.
     I would love to know why the pain comes and goes.  So far, I have found that I definitely need to sleep on my left side.  
Also, the pain seemed to intensify two  weeks ago.  I don't often drink, but I was on vacation that week and happened to have 4-5 drinks during the course of the week.  I have decided that I really don't like margaritas that much, anyway.  
    It certainly would be nice to find out what types of activities, foods, or alcohol need to be avoided to keep from having the bouts of pain.  Does stress cause them?  Does anyone know a specialist in this area?
Hi everybody.. Maybe someone has answers for me. I had an abdominal ultrasound last month because I injured my kidney. The kidney was fine but they found a l.9 x l.4cm cyst on the left lobe of my liver. I am terrified!! I just faxed my GP a copy of the report (he isn't the doctor who ordered it; it was ordered by another doctor I saw at a clinic after my accident.) He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get back to me. Does anyone know if an ultrasound can determine a cyst from a cancerous tumor? Does anybody know about these cysts??? Should I have more tests? Please ease my mind. Thanks.
I don't know much about a cyst on the liver but I would suggust that you either get a catscan of the liver done or a MRI. What they are calling a cyst maybe in fact a small hemangioma. I myself have a hemangioma on my left lobe of my liver that was found along time ago while i was having a sonogram for possible gallbladder problems. If they find out through testing that it is that they generally just leave them alone unless they start to grow at a more rapid pace. As you can see by reading the comments on this sight many of people have these. Some of them had to have surgey if they have gotten to be to big. But for now to ease your mind I would have those tests done and see what your dealing with and go from there. I'am sure everything will be ok. If you have any more questions that I can help you out with you can post me a message on here. Take care and good luck!!
Thanks for the info. You're very kind. I am worried that it might be cancer though. Do you know if an ultrasound can detect a cancerous tumor from a cyst? My doctor finally called me back today and said it isn't urgent; don't worry; that I should just do the tests he ordered for my regular check-up before all this happened. He said he'll see me when all my tests are in. So I guess But I'm a worrier. Do you think I should I insist on a CT scan if he doesn't recommend it? Also,what's the difference between a cyst and what you have? Thanks...
First of all it doesn't seem like your doctor is to worried so therefore it is probably nothing big to worry about. I know that the not knowing what it really is always scares everyone. I would still tell him you would like a catscan done. It can't hurt to give yourself peace of mind.I really don't know what a cyst on the liver is because i don't have one but a hemangioma is like a fatty tissue on the liver something like a blood vessel that is like a knot is what i been told. If you want some answers try going on google and type in cyst on the liver and it should give you more info. talk to you soon.

Karen
Well, here's my story.... I went in for a CT of my lungs and came out with a diagnosis of liver lesions. It was 3 at the time. Next it was off to ultrasound where the tech only saw one. Then back to CT where there were 2 around 2cm big (one on each lobe) and "all the others" were smaller than that. I wonder how many all the others is? Anyway, off to MRI which was still inconclusive for hemangioma because the blood flow and respiration factors made it hard to see. Now I am scheduled for a tagged red blood scan with the nuclear med folks.

I guess I am curious how fast these things grow because when I was hospitalized in December 2004 for unkown abdominal pains that brought me to my knees and horrific bouts of liquid bum....they didn't see anything on my liver CT.  I know they checked it and my liver numbers were out of whack along with an enlarged bile duct. They wrote it off as a passed gallstone. I still get this hard, painful lump centered just above my navel from time to time and I have stabbing, intermitent pain under my right rib cage that pokes through to my back and shoulder blade. Eating does the liquid bum thing again and it seems to bring on more severe stabbing abdominal pain. Heck, I don't know how many of these things are related or coincidence. I occassionally get the same type of stomach pain that put me in the hospital before but now it isn't as strong. I started having the right side pain last a week ago and thought I would wait it out to see if it goes away.

I also wonder how many tests until they can figure out what it is? Is a year and a half fast growing for 2 cm? Can someone give me some ideas what it could be? I don't have the seemingly-typical bloating or fever.
Today I obtained ultrasound results that indicate I have a hemangioma in the right lobe of my liver.  What this means for me?  I have no idea!  I went in for pain in my abdomen right below my bra and somewhat in the middle.  I had severe pain one day which prompted me making an appointment with my doctor.  Lately I have been quite fatigued, sometimes nauseous...just feeling like garbage, however I'm not saying it's at all related to the hemangioma, but something must be causing it.  When the pain isn't terrible, it kind of feels like a slight discomfort that I could best describe as burning with an occasional shooting pain off to my right.  I also had an Upper GI done and supposedly my gallbladder and everything is A-OK.  I spoke with the nurse at my doctors office and she relayed a message from my doctor indicating that he would just follow up with me in 6 months to see if it has grown.  Other than that there is no treatment for it. (That's what she said)  I asked her what about the discomfort I'm having and she stated that they have samples at their office for me to pick up.  I went to the office, picked up the samples, read the insert and discovered they were for heartburn.  WHAT THE?!?!?!  I absolutely know what heartburn feels like and I am 110% certain it's not heartburn that I'm experiencing.  I am seeking a second opinion as I don't particularly trust his course of action or lack thereof.  From what I understand these things can grow....and sometimes fast.  I would rather have a follow-up much sooner than 6 months and with a specialist at that.  Not some doctor that is good for prescribing medication for colds and what not.  Does anyone else have any advise?  I'm slightly concerned although I'm thinking maybe I'm overly concerned, but then again rightfully so.  I'm 33 years old, married with 2 children and I want to keep myself healthy to watch my children grow up and raise families of their own.  Any words of wisdom from anyone?
I hope this post helps lots of you with large and/or growing cavernous hemangiomas in your liver. I have a number of them and back in Nov. of 2004 was the 2nd person in the U.S. treated with RF, radiofrequency ablation, for the largest hemangioma that was 7.5 cm. I was treated by Dr. Fred Lee, an interventional radiologist at the U of Wisconsin. My hemangioma has shrunk about 30% according to an ultrasound I had a while ago. It may be smaller now.

Essentially, RF runs electric current into the hemangioma and burns the tissue, sclerosing the veins so they will no longer carry the blood that fills these lesions. The body slowly gets rid of a lot of the dead tissue. This procedure was first done in China and I had to email around to radiologists to see if anyone would try it here. One doctor, Ronald Zagoria at Wake Forest, had treated one patient before mine was done. I was going to travel to be treated by him but discovered the Dr. Lee had just invented a new RF multiprobe tool that would make the procedure faster and better. I imagine that many RF docs now use his multiprobe.

The limitations of RF have to do with the size and location of the hemangioma. If it is in a part of the liver that is close to other organs it is too dangerous to use as it may damage them (although since my procedure they may have perfected techniques to prevent this problem). If it is too large, the treatment may not be successful for reasons I don't understand. The great thing about RF is that your treated one day and out of the hospital the next. No big deal. No significant discomfort.

If RF is not an option, another alternative to surgery is embolization, using a cathather through your veins to sclerose the veins by injecting alcohol into them. There are different levels of this procedure. One is sort of a shotgun approach, sclerosing some large veins leading to the hemangioma. This one has complications of killing good liver tissue around the hemangioma. The other is a refined small catheter approach that scleroses small veins virtually inside the hemangioma. It was perfected by Dr. Wayne Yakes in Colorado. I visited with him before deciding to pursue RF. The downside of his embolization procedure is that he can only treat 4 or 5 veins during a procedure  and a large hemangioma has a dozen or more. Since he has to put you under anasthetic for each treatment and spaces them out by a month or two, it looked like I would have to go through the process maybe 5 times. That seemed too much but still looked better than surgery.

Finally, in terms of surgery. There is removal of a lobe of your liver as an option and there's kind of a "melon balling" approach. Surgeons can shoot for the second option but often end up doing the first anyway because the liver is so complex. This is big deal surgery and takes you out of action for a month or two. There are lots of great liver surgery centers, U. of Pittsburgh is the famous one and Dr. Fung there is fantastic to talk to. U of Colorado, Wisconsin, USC (talk to Dr. Rick Selby), Mayo Clinic and more are out there.

And, one more thing. In terms of the potential for rupture of a liver hemangioma, I heard a lot of different things. Primarily, if your hemangioma is well inside the liver, you don't have to worry because if it ruptures it still bleeds within the liver structure. Mine was right on the outside  of my right lobe, so  I was warned not to have it hit by anything. I did worry because I ski hard, over bumps and through the trees. Plus, after vigorous exercise with twisting or lifting or bumps, I had lots of pain on my right side. Then I was told by a few docs that the impact needed to rupture a hemangioma, even one on the outside, would have to be big enough to rupture my liver anyway. I don't think there is clear evidence either way but I wouldn't worry about it unless your hemangioma is more than 10 cm and close to the outside.

I hope all of this info helps. Good luck.
I was diagnosed 8 years ago with over 25 hepatic cavernous hemangiomas of the liver. I was told i couldn't have children and that it would kill me due to the growth when hormones are going crazy, We had been trying to have baby when all this came to the forefront, six months after having a very invasive surgery I found out i was expecting. This was much of a suprise. I followed through with having my son against all the doctors wishes and made it, however in my followup CT scan i had over 85 hemangiomas at that time they stop counting. They say it's rare to have this many. I have been fine for the last 8 yrs. but it's always a concern do the number of them. I have a weaker blood presure than most that they say is related. I began to see a bump on my tongue and though maybe it was the same thing and waited a short time before seeing a doctor in that time it grew rapidly it's 2.7x2.5x1.7transverse it's been told to me its a AVM and have been referred to Dr. Yakes in Colorado. I am very nervous this one i have a lot of pain with and it's large. I also have some flow voids going on as well does anyone need some words of wisdom on the liver and have any for me with my issues!!
I was diagnosed 2 days ago with 1.8 cm hepatic hemangioma.
I also have upper abdominal pain but think it is due to stomach problems.
Have anyone heard of treating hemangioma with chinese herbs?
Check this link:
http://www.herbchina2000.com/therapies/QHP.shtml
I was diagnosed in january with a liver hemangioma my dr told me not to worry it was found during a test to look for blood clot after shoulder surgery .I had an ultrasound of it so they could note the size and said nothing would be done unless i developed symptoms or it were to grow. I was  having alot of  abdominal pain  in august went to the dr he ordered another ultrasound. I got a call from him the results show that  within in the 5 month since my last ultrasound it has grown a cm and i now also have a mass on  my kidney  the  set up a ct scan to rule out what they say is neoplastic disease the report shows that since the significant increase in growth so quick  it is suspicious . I dont know what that could mean , When i look up neoplastic disease that could be cancer so i am concerned anyone  have any ideas?
i was diagnosed in january with a 1.1 cm  hemangioma of my liver  dr said we would watch it i went for an ultrasound  three weeks ago now they  mass has grown to  1.8  very quickly and i now hav a 1.4 cm solid mass on the right kidney my ultrasound report state it is uspcioius for cancer  i had a ct last night  how likely is htis to be cancer anyone know if  hemagiomas spread to toher organs everything iread about solid mass on the kidney say they are 95 % cancerous ??????
Well its me again  kizzy33 I just got my last test results and now that so called hemangioma has been ruled to not  be a hemangioma as originally thought  and  per the ct scan it is also not just a simple cyst the ct findings state that it is  very abnormal solid mass and there is actually two of  them not just one as  thought . now an mri is ordered to maybe tell me what it is .Help I am so confused  if  this isn't a hemangioma as originally thought, and not a simple cyst what else could it be anyone have any clue? has anyone ever been told that they had a hemangioma then told later it was more than that ?
Kizzy33, I read your thread and hope you are doing better.  I hope your results are good news. I think about how scared and confused I was when I heard I had a mass in my liver, then not knowing what it all meant.  That was is the first time I had ever heard the word hemangioma.  Since then I have learned a lot about them. Please keep in touch on how you are doing and what you find out.  

I go to the surgeon next week to get a consult on the best treatment options for my cavernous liver hemangioma measuring 7.5 x 6.7 x 4.7 cm. I'm going to ask the surgeon about Radiofrequency Ablation and Transcatheter Embolization and what the risks are involved with both.  Hopefully treatment can wait for while because I am not mentally ready to go through anything yet.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers but  my last test showed now that it is not a hemangioma  which is why i am so confused becasue i was told thats what it was in january but now the cat scan  shows it is not .Now its not  just one solid mass now theres two of them .I dont understand what made them think that it was a hemangioma in january but  now  based on more test it  was concluded it is not for sure .I am scared becasue if its not a hemangioma as thought and it is not just a simple cyst  so what else is left , all the research i do  doesnt show much else left it could be other  than cancer.I was told if the mri isnt clear enough to figure out what  the two masses are then i will need a liver bipsy have you had one of those?I heard they are painful and risky but  it may finally give me an answere. I hope all goes well with you at you appointment as well.
I was diagnosed with 2 small (2 & 3 cm) cavernous hemanginomas in 2002.  With severe pains in lower right side went in for ct scan and they then found the 2 masses agian.  They did a die injected MRI said they are cavernous hemaninomas but are (9 cm).

My family practicioner simply called me on the phone said do nothing but wait and see there size in 9 months.  Should I be concerned?  I am having bloating, pain, naushea after eating.  All off and on!  Also I have been feeling as though my hormones are gong crazy and see my OB next week for that.  Is there a connection.  By the way I have 4 children the youngest 18 months and just had a IUD inserted?)
nine months seems like a  long time to wait maybe 3-6 months . I waited six months with mine because it orginally appeared that they were hemangiomas but now after waiting  6 months and retesting  it appears that they are more than that i dont mean to scare you but we no our own bodies  and we need to listen to them .  My doctor told me to wait unless I had symptoms , i started having alot of  heartburn and I  no longer have my gallbladder but the symptoms were that of the pain  similiar to  when I was having gallbladder attacks. It sounds like you also have symptoms do you still have your gallbladder  alot of the comments I read  about these hemangiomas  alot of people have found  later on that there symptoms were gallbladder symptoms after all not from the hemangiomas. I am no  way a medical person but I say time for another opinion. Good luck I hope you start feeling better soon.As for me I had my mri  on thursday last week  I will get the results  hopefully on thursday unless they say I then need a liver biopsy we will see.
I was diagnosed with a hemangioma last 8/05 which was about 16 to 17 centimeters.  I guess you would call it a giant hemangioma.  My doctor basically said we'll watch it and to avoid any trauma to my upper right side.

I returned for a cat scan in Oct 06 for a comparison of the hemangioma.  There was no change in size but it is impacting other organs like my right kidney, colon and inferior vena cava vein.  Otherwis, everything else looked normal.  He did want me to consult with a surgeon to get his ideas.  It seems that everything I'm reading on these sites encourage surgery for giant hemangiomas.  I'm having no pain but I am now in fear of any trauma that would cause it to rupture.  It seems if it ruptures you're in a very dangerous situation with internal bleeding and your bascially in big trouble but you would be at the mercy of an emergency room that is really not equipped to handle situation. *Even my doctor said that would not be a good scenario.  I did call a surgeon, Dr. Leslie Blumgart from Sloan Kettering that I will meet with.  I did send my reports to his office and he did say I would be a candidate for surgery however, he wants to read my x-rays, etc..

I've heard of RF Abilation that send electric currents to hemangioma but is dangerous if it is near other organs.  Also, embolization my doctor said would probably not be an option because mine is so big.  I am very nervous and would greatly like to hear from anyone in the same situation.  The surgery seems so major and archaic especially in today's times and I'm afraid of the risks.  I have two children that have other issues regarding connective tissue disorders and I need to be around for them & my husband.

Thanks for listening. I just came across this forum.  I'm usually on other forums for my kids problems, (ehlers Danlos Syndrome  & Pectus excavatum)

Thanks.
T.
Hi,everyone. I want to share what's happened with my husband.he has a giant hemangioma 8cm. For about 2.5 yrs every time he gets very exausted at work or gets cold or a flue, he starsts with fever up to 103, but then this fever doesn't go away for 3-4 weeks. Today this is his 5th epizode for a time being. There are no  symptoms other than weakness due to  a fever. Last time he was hospitalised for 7 days.Doctots could not find anything. The blood tests were completely normal, exept white cells decreased to 4.0(Normal range is 4.5 to 10). Doctors tried empirical administration of Avelox(antibiotic) and then the fever went gradually down.Right now, my husband has low grade fever. I give him Avelox, but fever does not go away.Could this be hemangioma playing this trick with him? Can anybody share his thoughts about this?
It is me again(husband with hemangioma). I forgot to add that blood test showed Low WBC(4.0) and low TSH thyroid test(hyperthyroidism). I don't understand, why my husband gets such prolong episodes of fever every time he starts a common cold. He did a PET scan which showed nothing exept hamangioma. He was seen by so many specialist while in the hospital, but nobody could come to a decision exept may be a thyroid as a cause.Even his insurance refused to pay for his staying in the hospital because it was  "unnecessary". So stupid. Last time he was sick for 3 weeks and he had just started a good job, and guess what? They fired him  next day he came back from the hospital.Right now he has no medical insurance and he is sick again.I am so frustrated. Could this be hemangioma or else?
I am freaking out...please anyone that can help.... I am 39 years old, female, mother of five. I have had a pain in my side, right under my right rib, off to the side a bit for months..right around the time of my menstrual cycle. It stuck around this month, and I thought I felt a lump, so I went to the ER. They did a liver enzyme test..normal. A pelvic exam, normal, and and a CT..not normal. Showed "multiple liver lesions", one of which is 7 centimeters (3 inches) big. I had a second, "triple phase CT". The radiologist determined they do not look like hemangiomas. I had a chest ex-ray, nothing there, either. No cirhosis (sp?) and no lyphoma in my stomach, or anywhere else that they see.I had my gall bladder and appendix removed 19 years ago, just 6 weeks after the birth of my first child. I have to have a biopsy to determine if I have cancer. I am so scared! Everything I read on the "net" is very bad. I have no real "pain", just some discomfort that if it gets a little worse I take two Ibuprofen and I'm good. No jaundice, either. I'm not tired, not sick, still eat (except since they told me this I'm not real hungry...) still go to work, everything basically normal except these THINGS in my liver. Could I really have liver cancer??? I am very scared. I go for my biopsy on Thursday, Oct. 19th. Please, someone tell me if they've experienced anything similar, or have advice or words of comfort. I truly am petrified.
I  had a ct scan that  stated my lesions werent  hemangiomas either then they sent me for an mri before they did the biopsy  which then stated once again that they were in fact liver hemangiomas the test kept going back and forth it was very scarey but now they are just going to watch mine for 2 months more  re-do the mri and if any changes set up the liver biopsy then . Good luck hopefully yours will come back to be liver hemangiomas after all. I did a lot of research  while i was waiting for my test to come back to see if they were cancerous and it  shows another type of lession could be a liver adenoma which alot of women who have taken birth control or of child bearing age are getting  it is caused from the increased hormone  look those up online see what you think  but good luck ?
A related discussion, Hemangioma not painful was started.
A related discussion, ver hemangiomas and gallstones cause daily fatigue??? was started.
A related discussion, hemangiomas & pregnancy was started.
A related discussion, Giant Liver Hemangiomas 12+cm Surgery or Not? was started.
A related discussion, Liver hemangioma was started.
A related discussion, symptom of a liver hemangioma was started.
A related discussion, liver Hemangiomas was started.
I'm 49. Starting to go through the change. Ultrasound found my lady parts in good working order. So they did a CT scan with dye. Found 5 lesions. Sizes between 1.4 cm and 6 cm. I have pain in lower right quadrant of liver. Funny thing is they cannot say if it a tumor or not . They want me to get MRI with dye. Dye is poison. But everyone else on this post says theirs were diagnosed with CT scan or ultrasound. Very suspicious 5 years ago you could diagnose with CT or ultras. I don't trust the drug companies at all. I refused the dye but did the MRI today.