Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
liver lesion/pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

liver lesion/pain

I am a 41 year old female,in generally good health, 5'4" and 125 lbs.
5 weeks ago my bowel movements changed from daily and soft to every 3-4 days and hard to pass there was some blood and mucus in it as well. I was also having gripping pain just below my sternum and to left below my ribs. The pain comes and goes it happens at all different times of day, I can not tie it to anything (foods, bowel movements, etc) and it wakes me during the night,it lasts minutes or hours. When I have the pain I get very cold(my hands and feet are frozen)and I am so tired nothing I do will make it go away I just have to wait.  I went to the dr. and over the last 5 weeks I have had a rectal exam(positive for blood), CBC(pancreas on the high side of normal) urine (normal), Upper GI w/sm bowel (normal), CT scan(liver lesion and ovarian cysts). I tried for a colonoscopy but the halflyte bowel prep kit made me very ill after the 4th glass so it is on hold for now.  I am now going for an ultrasound on my liver and ovaries. I am getting very frustrated at how long this is taking to diagnosis.  Do I have cancer?  Are there other things I should be doing?  Do you have any suggestions for a different prep for the colonoscopy?

The colonoscopy is the most reasonable test at this time to rule out the possibility of colon cancer.  If a colonoscopy cannot be performed, you can consider a double-contrast barium enema.  Other GI preps can be discussed with your gastroenterologist - one can try a Fleet phosphosoda if the halflyte kit doesn't work.

The CT scan and upper GI would complete the GI evaluation.  An upper endoscopy is a more comprehensive test than the upper GI and can be considered if upper GI lesions are suspected.  More specialized testing, like a 24-hr pH study or gastric emptying scan, can be considered to further evaluate the upper GI complaints.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Sorry to hear you are going thru this.
Have you been tested for hep A B and C?
Thank you.  My ultrasound today showed the ovarian cysts were not there so it is felt they are just a normal occurance at different times during the monthly cycle and the liver lesions are benign clusters of blood vessel(which they said is common).

I am going for a colonoscopy on March 1 so until then I will continue to tolerate the pain.
Hi, sorry you are going through this. Did they call your liver lesion a hemangioma? I had a CT scan due to abdominal pain and they found a liver hemangioma and ovarian cytsts as well. I then had a hida scan and my gallbladder is not functioning at 100%, so they seem to think that is the cause of all my pain...surgery scheduled. Good luck!

VAN
I'm not sure if you were able to get your colonoscopy yet...but I had a terrible time with the prep due to my reflux.  I ended up taking pills...if you can take pills, it's the way to go...I can't remember the name, but I know it begins with a "V"!  Ask your gastro Dr....I'm sure they would know.  Good Luck and God Bless.
does anyone know if there are more than one type of liver lesion? my daugher has one...
Hi Peggy,
I myself have 2 very large liver lesions which originally they thought to be Hemangiomas(veiny tumors) had Endoscopy, Nuclear Scan, Cat Scan & Mri... those tests pretty much showed the masses are not hypervascular (meaning incresed blood flow in that area)which is what happens with hemangiomas.
They are actully just the opposite Hypovascular (decreased blood flow in those areas where the masses are. one is 3.5 x 2.5 cm the other is 4.5 x 6.5 cm. They cause me pain daily, they put alot of pressure up high on the right side, especially after I eat. so now they are reffering me to Loma Linda to meet with a liver surgeon there to see if we can do a liver resection. They do not know at this time if mine are malignant or benign. biopsy after removal will determine.
There are several types of liver lesions... probably hemangioma how old is she? They are thinking mine are caused from birth control use.
A CT scan with contrast should be enough for doctors to tell if your daughter's lesions are hemangiomas. They believe it is a congenital defect and certain things such as birth control and pregnancy can make them grow - hormones.
Peggy, there are different types of lesions. Hemangiomas are malignant but you DO NOT want them to do a biopsy if they think that is what it is. I know of a lady that had one on her spine that they tried to biopsy and now they have spread to her brain!
Just be sure not to let them try to biopsy her lesion unless they are sure (through imaging tests) that it is not a hemangioma!