Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
liver pain?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

liver pain?

Can anyone describe what pain from the liver feels like and where it is located.  I have intermittent pain to the right of the navel about 3 inches and about an inch or 2 up..  It is localized and sometimes is felt straight through to the back. I had upper and lower gi scopes, sonogram of abdomen, scan of gall bladder and blood work. Everything was negative other than my liver enzymes being elevated and the sonogram showing a fatty liver.  This was probably caused by alcohol which I
stopped 2 months ago after I was told about the fatty liver.  This pain is still here 2 months later, no worse no better.  My gastroenterologist doesn't seem to concerned about my liver. I am a little worried that the pain is coming from the liver even though the pain seems to be coming from a part lower that the location of the liver.  Thanks for any help on this.
I am not a doctor but have been doing a lot of research on liver disease and gallbladder disease since my father was diagnosed with possible cirrhosis.  The pain that you are feeling sounds like it could be from the gallbladder.  However, many things can cause pain in that area, including IBS.  If you felt pain from your "liver", your liver would be inflammed.  Livers do not have nerves, so you would not feel the pain directly from the liver.  If your liver WAS indeed inflammed, you could feel the pain from the muscles or tissue surrounding the liver.
I am a 22 year old who just graduated from college. Currently I am worried about the condition of my liver. In high school I drank on the weekends and throughout college I drank about four times a week. I have settled down now, and I don't intake half the amount I used to and I only drink about once a week. However, I think that I am experiencing liver pain. Sometimes when I drink coffee or become hungry, the middle right side of my abdomen feels a pain that comes and goes. I also should mention that I tend to worry about things a little too much. I am scared to go to my doctor, because I am afraid he will tell me that I have x amount of years to live. Please Help?