Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
liver worries and bloating

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

liver worries and bloating
18 months ago I took some anabolic steroids, have used them twice before in pervious years without any problem.  4-5 days later I started to feel nauseas so I stopped taking them and the nausea stopped after about 2 weeks. I then went on holiday and drank rather heavily and the nausea returned after a week of my first drinking.  I was then very unwell for about 2 weeks.  Following this I didn
Tough to say without examination.  If the blood tests for the liver and the amylase/lipase are normal, it would be less likely there is a problem with the liver and pancreas.  You can consider an ultrasound or CT scan to further image these organs.  

Given the fact that you cannot tolerate carbohydrates and the stool seems to float more, this would indicate some sort of malabsporption syndrome.  Taking pancreatic digestive enzymes are a start, but I would also test the stool itself for fecal fat malabsorption, as well as blood tests looking for celiac disease.  

Bacterial overgrowth is also a possibility.  This can be diagnosed with a breath analysis test, or via an analysis of a jejeunal aspirate (which can be performed during an upper endoscopy).

Other possible causes would be irritable bowel disease, but before settling on this diagnosis, I would ensure there are no further organic abnormality first.  An upper and lower endoscopy can be considered for a more thorough evaluating of the bowel tract.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a gastroenterology evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
could be gas!!
chocolate,peppermint,caffeine,citric food,soda,grease,fried food,dairy products,spice are all bad news.
try rice and white bread.
chew some gum or take alka selzer or Gas X and see if you can bring the bloating down.
A related discussion, HELP ME "IS IT MY LIVER" was started.