Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
lower- right abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

lower- right abdominal pain

Hi,i am 25 y/o white female,5'8,125 lbs.I workout regulary, dont drink,and quit smoking 5 years ago.
A few months ago (4-5) i noticed that the very low right side of my stomach suddenly blew up like a baloon. I felt it pushing through my skin,and it felt realy weird,but not painfull, and after it just kind of dissapeared.That started happening very often,every night after that,in intervals going up and down during evenings - and it always happen while laying down!-and it still is happening.At first I thought it was hernia,1 specialist said it wasnt,it was gas, the other one said it was the ruptured cyst irritating my intestine. I went for ultrasound (came back perfect, exept for the liquid found  irritating me..), cat scan came back perfect, i went to see my gyno, who also said it was just gas,plus another gyno who said the same thing. The day and days before this happened i was eating big amounts of fruits(lots of grapes) and popcorn, those were my meals during the day.the problem is, I still have pain and swelling in my lower stomach - it feels like intestine is pushing through my skin, it starts on the bottom of my right side, than it moves higher up, sometimes i can see and feel the bubble around my belly button. I have pinches all the time during the day, but it gets worse at night, sometimes if feels like it's something grabing me and twisting me inside, and sometimes i wake up at night unable to move, the pain becomes dull and it spreads twoards my lower back as well as stomach. Than the pain stays with me the whole day.I was a vegeterian before, but I started to eat chicken and turkey, and more protein, I am avoiding too much fruit and grains that cause gas, but the pain is still here all the time. Sometimes I can hear it gurguling inside at lower right side only.
Also, I used to hold gas, because I was embaresed infront of my husband, and I started to have no gas at all. Now it only comes occationaly. I am going to the bathroom fine, I used some milk of magnesia hoping it would clear my problem. But it seems like the pain comes no matter what I do, and it mostly comes at night.
What is this? is this really just a gas problem? is there anything I can take to relieve this? Do you have any suggestions about this? I have been trying to find an answer to this for so long, and nobody seems to know what to do, or how to help. I would really apprecciate any advise and I thank you in advance!
Sonja
You have had an ultrasound and CT scan.  GYN exam was not revealing.  

Other possible causes can include inflammation of the colon (either from infection or inflammatory bowel disease), or irritable bowel syndrome.  

Irritable bowel syndrome can amplify the feeling of gas and bloating.  The first treatment for this would increasing the fiber in your diet.  There are other medications such as anti-spasmodic agents that may help.

However before attributing it to irritable bowel, you may want to consider a colonoscopy to ensure there is nothing more serious going on.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.